new additions

reefer2b

Reefing newb
So yesterday after I had to take my daughter to the dr. She says she wants to go to the pet store. There was one near there so we went there. They are the same company as my LFS/pet store just a different franchise. They have a really nice S/W section. He said they drive down to Atlanta usually 2x a week to pick out their fish and corals. I wound up buying 2 corals and an orange spotted goby (something my damsels won't bother).
I got a green candy cane and a torch (I didn't set out wanting a torch but came home with it) The moment I put the candy cane in the tank the 3 spot damsel wouldn't leave it alone. He kept rubbing on it and still hides behind it. He is dying to have something host him. He checked out the torch but likes the candy cane. LOL The goby hid until I turned out the lights. Then I heard splish splash; splish splash. I turned the light back on and he was in the corner looking at me like What?? I wasn't jumping. Today he's burrowed under one of the rocks and I see him occasionally. I guess I need to put the back part on the top piece now.
I have two questions. Will the goby stop trying to jump once he realizes he can't get out? and how long should I leave the lights on for the corals?

I'll post pics in the tank forum.

when I first got my diamond goby he jumped the first 2 nights. i bought white egg crate from lowes cut it to fit. he stopped right after that. I think they jump cause they are a little stressed at first. now the tank is open again with no problems at all. Good luck to you with your new additions!!

I've had two diamond gobies and lost them both to jumping. They will jump if something startles them (usually at night).

As for lighting and corals, most people keep them on around 12 hours per day.

How about some pics of the new additions?? :)

I heard him jump once last night and hit the glass top. After that nothing. LOL must've hurt. He's not hiding as much anymore and the damsels don't really bother him other then trying to heard him around the tank occasionally. I think he was to close to the trumpet coral and the 3 spot was trying to get him away from it.

Back