New Colt Coral

chris your could possibly be a carnation its hard to tell with it slumped like that. if it is a carnation those are hard to keep alive. your tank has to be perfect and mature enough for it.

Does it look like this:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-80483-tree-coral.jpg

If so, Knucklehead nailed it -- it's a carnation coral, which is a type of nephthya (as Winy mentioned earlier). Carnations are definitely not easy corals:

It is extremely difficult to maintain in the reef aquarium, and should be housed in an established reef aquarium, by the more advanced marine aquarist. It requires low lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. It is necessary to have a constant current with an abundance of algal plankton. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of strontium, iodine, and other trace elements to the water.

It does not contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae. Therefore, its diet should include live, baby brine shrimp, micro-plankton, and other small foods designed for filter feeding invertebrates, in order to survive in the reef aquarium. These foods must be available almost constantly. Again, only expert aquarists should attempt to keep this coral.

Carnation? I'm not happy about that. It was still slumped this morning but the polyps are out which shows its still alive. I can't open the liveaquaria link at work so I'll look at that tonight. Thanks peeps.

I'm done with that fish shop. They know I'm new to this and don't know how to take care of a it. They sold me, a total rookie, a coral that needs expert care. it needs phyto everyday? I don't want to feed at all! They don't care about the coral or the customers. Also, with the exception of their frag tank, their coral tanks have a massive infestation of Aiptasia. If you live in So California beware of "Pet World" in San Bernardino.

unfortunately it happends all the time. not all shops do that. and being a newb you tend to buy on impulse more then anything. dont take that the wrong way. because ive done it! lol.. but you learned a lesson and gained knowledge from it wich is good. kinda glass half full type of thing? no? lol

Yeah its a learning experience for sure. I feel bad that a coral and the last of my coral money were wasted. That thing wasn't cheap. Thats it for me until after xmas.

I hate seeing a Coral die too, but the money that's lost is very frustrating also. Even with easy stuff they die and you shake your head and wonder why. Corals are so sensitive sometimes.

It is for sure a carnation. Sol I've decided to drive all the way home to get it and take it back to the fish shop. I'm not going to watch it die.

Carnation grow hanging down from ledges and caves, if you place it up on a ledge so the (droopy) part is hanging and give it some good flow, you may be able to keep it healthier longer.

They are a lower light coral and require phytoplankton feedings on a continuous bases.

If you haven't taken it back to the store yet.

Thanks. I took it back. I wasn't going to feed it like it needed.

My tank doesn't need that right now. I'm going thru salt like crazy already. Maybe if my DSB was matured or I actually received the chaeto I orderd.

I love this site. Thanks for all of the help.

I hate hearing things like that.Buts all to common with this hobby.But then again,the guy at the store may not have known what he was actually selling you.
But either way,I sure hope they at least gave you store credit for it.

I think you did the right thing by taking it back. At least you're not responsible for it if it dies now. I think all of us have been misled by LFSs at one point or another -- either intentionally or accidentally. It sucks, especially when it costs you money. Next time you're thinking of buying something, be sure to post about it here first. We'll be happy to let you know what our experiences have been with that animal. Without trying to sell you anything!

Even snap a shot of whatever it is your looking at with your cell phone.Then you can post the pic here and we'll get you the RIGHT id on it.

+1 to Yote. I can't believe they didn't offer a store credit at least. Now if it survives, they're going to sell the same coral twice. If it was me I'd be in bad mouthing them to the customers as I'm getting something simple like food.

Back