New Connections

jackie

Reefing newb
Hello all -just found your site. Great information already. Can't get enough.
I have a 44gal Pentagon (corner tank) set it up for Xmas 2008. Have live sand, 30+/- lbs live rock, one blue green chromis, one sergent major (found out what he was after purchase- will probably outgrow my tank), one humbug aruanus, one neon blue goby, one dragon goby (my favorite to watch), and new addition emerald crab - lost my snails (probably the crab).

Welcome to the site Jackie.
I doubt the emerald crab had anything to do with your snails dieing,but could have I guess.

Hi Jackie. Welcome to our family of crazed individuals!
I too doubt that your crab killed your snail, however some of these guys in the "Crabs Are Evil Society" will tell you that it did with certainty. Watch out for them. Look forward to hearing more about your tank.

Hi Jackie. Welcome to our family of crazed individuals!
I too doubt that your crab killed your snail, however some of these guys in the "Crabs Are Evil Society" will tell you that it did with certainty. Watch out for them. Look forward to hearing more about your tank.
What are you talking about? Everyone knows emeralds dont kill snails. Hermits do but they are not on trial here. Oh for the record Crabs ARE evil...

Hello again- I have found that my original snails died as I did not acclimate correctly. I was told to acclimate like the fish and not the drip method - gotta love the advise from LFS. Also after the introduction of new snails properly acclimated - found out as I watched a little astia fall that the Sergent Major was immediately on top of the snail nipping (don't think it will eat it) but very aggressive. I move the rock in the tank to keep him calm (as I have learned rock moving seems to take him back to not so aggressive).

My poor crab - I think now it must have been the sergent major. :-( Got another Emerald Crab today -- much bigger this time. He should like his new home. Will be getting more rock soon too. Roughly 30lbs live rock right now - 44 gal tank (corner tank) how much LR is enough?

Jackie you should have 1-2 lbs of live rock. I like 2 lbs per gallon or 88 in your case.
P.S. See I knew that crab was innocent!

Back