New Fish for the tank!

Bluesaltwater87

Aquarium System Design
I started my dad a 5 Gallon Nano tank.
I just got him 3 green chromis (1/2 in long each) in the tank
after about 2 or 3 weeks i will be getting 1 clown gobie and a peperment shrimp
He has 3 hermits and 5 or 6 snails (super small)

Oy! I can tell you right now you are going to get a lot of negative responses to this, sorry to say. Chromis need at least a 30g tank, and there really aren't any fish that you can keep in a 5g. And even with a mature 10g (i.e., running for several months) you really can't have more than 3 small fish. Not sure what you could put for live stock in a 5g other than some soft corals, and *maybe* a very small clown goby, but that's pushing it. Please check out the nano fish section on live aquaria to get some ideas for what types of fish you could add to a 10g minimum, and think about upgrading your dad's tank to a 10g so that he can at least have a fish or two that will do okay in that size tank. You can get a 10g for $13 at Petco, not really a lot of money to spend when your talking about the difference between a fish living a full life or dying because they are stressed from being housed in a tank that is too small for them. And please consider returning the chromis.

there only goin to be in there for the 3 weeks than i am taking them out. I am sorry i didnt say that in my previous post.
And i do know what kinds of fish i can put in a nano tank sence i have one on my office desk. the only reasion i put them in for the few weeks is to boost the bactiria for a clown goby and a shrimp.

You are far better off cycling the tank with a piece of uncooked table shrimp than a few chromis. The chromis could very well die in those three weeks. But yes thank you for clarifying that you don't plan to have them in there long term. That said, I'd still advise returning the chromis, cycling the tank with a piece of table shrimp from the grocery store, and upgrading to a 10g so that the clown goby and shrimp can live a long and happy life!

I do understand the dinamics of the cycling of the tank i have had a piece of shrimp in the tank for about a mouth now and i am showing good lvls in the tank. I am just using the chromis to give the tank there own kind of cookie if you know what i mean. after the 3 weeks they will be in my 40 gallon tank. soon i will be building a 330 gallon system and i am sher they will be vary happy in that tank.

I had a pair of clowns and a citron goby in a 5 gallon. My clowns pestered the poor goby so i threw them in the main tank with the lionfish because i was pissed.
Long story short the clowns love the lion (they share the same corner) and my poor little goby didnt make it. Now my 5 gallon is an experiment with cfl bulbs and a few frags. lol

yep some clowns are like that. but my clown crusty is alwas looking for some food or he wants an anemony but i havent found a small enough enemony for the tank.

Some other projects i am goin to be doing is
45 hex seahorse tank.
55 gallon freshwater tank (tropical)
100 gallon reef tank (pending)
D.I.Y. frag tank or "waterfall Filter"

I do understand the dinamics of the cycling of the tank i have had a piece of shrimp in the tank for about a mouth now and i am showing good lvls in the tank. I am just using the chromis to give the tank there own kind of cookie if you know what i mean. after the 3 weeks they will be in my 40 gallon tank. soon i will be building a 330 gallon system and i am sher they will be vary happy in that tank.

That makes no sense. Why would you cram 3 fish in a 5 gallon just to "give the tank their own kind of cookie"? I mean, you're already cycling w/ the dead shrimp. Why put more stress on the tank unnecessarily? That's such a waste of 3 lives.

A 5 g can have MAX 1 small fish like a goby. Please return those chromis. I'm afraid you're teaching your father to be a poor aquarist if this is how you're going to do this.

?..... I did the exact same thing with my 5 gallon nano and the fish that were in it aer in my display tank perficly fine. I am sorry that you disagree with the way i do things in my tanks. Just keep in mind i am watching the tank every day and testing the water every day. If at any time i think one if the fish will or get sick because of the tank I will take it out and put it in my larger tank. I do love all my fish and i do keep them all healthy. and i am ferly sher i can tell when and if they get to a point of being sick.

It is not a matter of the fish being "fine"...but to confine fish like that in a small space is just cruel. It's like putting a person in a small cage for the rest of their lives. It's sad that you don't care enough about the fish to not pay attention to their basic needs.

ok like i said they are vary small in them selves and it is not a permenit home for them. I do care for them. and basic needs are being fofiled. I over filter every tank i have ever owned. and as i said if I thought that i was goin to keep them in there for the rest of there lives than i wouldnt have got them. there goin in my main tank soon with my other chromis.

ok like i said they are vary small in them selves and it is not a permenit home for them. I do care for them. and basic needs are being fofiled. I over filter every tank i have ever owned. and as i said if I thought that i was goin to keep them in there for the rest of there lives than i wouldnt have got them. there goin in my main tank soon with my other chromis.

No. No their basic needs are not being fulfilled. The reason they need a bigger tank is room to swim. How would you feel being locked in a closet and me shoving a sandwich under the door morning, noon and night, and then giving you a bucked to shit in? And then forcing you to stay in the closet with that bucket? Not very happy, I bet.

Surviving is not the same and thriving. We strive for our fish to THRIVE, not just survive.

And find a browser with spell check, please.

soon i will be building a 330 gallon system and i am sher they will be vary happy in that tank.

Some other projects i am goin to be doing is
45 hex seahorse tank.
55 gallon freshwater tank (tropical)
100 gallon reef tank (pending)
D.I.Y. frag tank or "waterfall Filter"

I feel like you are doing a lot of thinking about new tanks and systems but these all take a lot of time and none will be ready to rehome the fish that you already have. I know that you have a 40g tank "ready" to take the fish but at this point I am starting to wonder about over stocking? A 40 would only be able to support 4 maybe 5 fish in a mature system.

It may seem like we are being harsh but we are only trying to look out for the well being of the fish. Please take them out of the 5g and give them a larger home.

there goin in my main tank soon with my other chromis.

Aaaand, from your profile, you have a 40 gallon reef that already has fish....adding these chromis would be severely overstocking your tank, if it's not overstocked already. I wish you'd think about what you're doing here before acting. You keep saying you care, you have their interest at heart, you know what you're doing. But yet it doesn't come off like that.

I have a small 1 inch chromis in my 90g and he uses every inch of space swimming all day long. I can't imagine cramming him into a 5g tank. As others have said, that's just cruel. And honestly, keeping a clown in the 5g on your desk is cruel too - they also need a larger tank. A clown can do okay in a 10 when they are little, but can't be in a 10g for their whole lives, and certainly not a 5g. Please think about what you are doing to these poor creatures.

Back