New Fish for the tank!

I have aleady transferd the fish into my 40 gallon tank. the lvls in the tank tested 0 and i have them in my 40 gallon. NOW befor anyone freeks out. I put them with the rest of my green chromis. My 40 gallon tank has a 30 gallon long sump and a 20 gallon refugum so the water mass in the tank is 90 gallons. it has been running for a good amount of time. I am sorry if you are offended by the actions. I promis i will never ever do it agein. I joined this forum to talk to people about tanks systems and fish. i didnt know that i would be bombarded. once agein i am sorry

It's not that people were trying to bombard you, and you are welcome here to talk about tanks, systems, and saltwater in general. BUT, when the folks here see you doing something that is obviously cruel (or at a minimum, poorly thought out and not well-researched), they will let you know. The folks here start gently, asking you to do some research and simply fix your mistakes. We understand that everyone here has made some mistakes, especially when first starting out. We understand that almost everyone here has been misled by a fish store employee at some point in time or another. But in the face of experienced, knowledgeable, well-intentioned advice, you persist in making said mistakes and in fact defend and justify such acts of cruelty, we tend to get frustrated. At that point, we do tend to stop phrasing things gently, and just speak plainly. In the end, we really want what's best for the animals involved. It's not to hurt your feelings; it's to prevent the cruel treatment of creatures that can't speak for themselves. Yes, even if it's unintentional, it's still cruel. And after you've been informed that what you are doing is cruel, if you continue to do it, then it's intentional cruelty, and that is something the majority of people here can't abide, and don't want read about.

So yes, when we hear about you cramming not one, but three fish in a tank 1/6 the recommended size for a fish of that kind, and those same three fish are being housed in a tank that couldn't reasonably be expected to house even one fish that size, we will let you know what you are doing is wrong. When we then hear a bunch of excuses as to why what you are doing is ok, we will let you know in no uncertain circumstances that what you are doing is cruel. And when you let us know that you are moving those three fish from a proverbial closet with a bucket to what amounts to a one bed hotel room with probably 4-5 + current occupants (upping the count to at least 7, probably more), you cannot possibly expect us to think that's much of an improvement!

We are trying to help you and the fish. We tend to stick up for the fish, since they have no say in the matter. Please don't take it personally. None of us have a personal vendetta against you. We just want you to see the error of your ways, and correct those errors so that no living creature has to suffer for the hobby that we all love so much.

Well said, Samhain.
I would also like to point out that it's not only water volume that makes the difference with how many/what kinds of fish you can have. Some fish need more swimming room than others or they will be very unhappy.

As i have said i have corrected my mistake. I do understand that i do have free say in the forum and that i may partisipate and i think you for understanding. the resion that i even did it was because it was what i did befor with my nano tank. I was instructed to use the chromis to "seed" my tank when i started my 5 gallon nano. I was instructed by a LFS "manager" that it was fine. you are right i should not have put them in there. everyone was right. now that that is out of the way.

I would like to tell you about the system if that is ok.

The (dadnano) tank is a 5 gallon main a 5 gallon refuge and a 5 gallon wet/dry filter with a Aqua Euro Nano Skimmer II and 2 25W Hydor heaters and a Azoo 1200 return pump.

All lvls in the tank are clear for fish. I will be getting some snails and crabs later today. next week I will be getting a yellow clown goby and a shrimp.

Lighting: 1 Marineland Led hood.(main) 1 Marineland led panal Refuge
Sand/Gravel: 5lbs of Florida Live sand
LR: 15lbs of Figi rock with 5lbs of reef rock.
Filteration system: 1 Wet/Dry trickel filter with a 40/60 mix of Bioballs and Live Rock Rubble, 1 Red Mangrove sapling, 5 types of algea, and a Pencil Cap plants
Food: Algea, Copiepods, pellet food

We all make mistakes. Good luck with the tank!
And now you know better than to blindly take advice from someone who wants your money. ;)

ya you are right there. i dont even go to that store to buy fish anymore. I whent there to try to get a shrimp, fish, roc, sand, etc and when i asked for her help she acted like i was not even there so i left with my money. lol.
Now i eather order my stuff or i go to a specilized sorce untell i get my holesale lisence.

Back