new live rock question/advice

dannyboy

PLUHH
I just purchased 30 lbs uncured live rock from a reputable online source, (don't wanna say who," but I wanted the uncured for the most die-off, fast cycle, and to also help reseed my 50 lbs old rock, (not sure still considered live.) Rock was advertised as often having, "plants, worms, sponges, stars, etc" but the rock arrived and to me appears cured and no signs of life yet. It wasn't cheap, I could of gotten 20 more lbs elsewhere for same price but wanted the uncured. The smell isn't even that bad. I told them I think I received the wrong product, they say wait longer, 14 day grantee. Pretty sure I'd be stuck w/ shipping charges back, any advise? Suck it up and keep it? Thanks, sorry so long

Well, if there isn't much smell, that isn't a bad thing - means some of those hitchhikers that they listed might have actually lived! Uncured rock actually takes longer to cycle, and even with cured rock you still have to cycle your tank. I'd go ahead and add to your tank with the rest of your dead rock and start the cycle with a small piece of uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. You'll be good to go :)

It can be shocking how much life appears in the tank after a few days. I bought around 40 pounds of "cured" live rock and to date I have seen snails, feather dusters, a crab (had to kill that one) and spaghetti worms. Oh some q tips sponges and pineapple sponges as well. If it where me I would just go with it and see what happens...They best way to find stuff is a flashlight after lights out....

Even if there isn't a lot of "live" stuff on it, I wouldn't try sending it back unless they will pay the return shipping. Live rock is too heavy to send back on your own dollar!

Back