new member seeking advice from pros

rudy1952

Reefing newb
hi out there, never had any exchange in the internet about saltwater. mostly self taught with the help from martin moe's marine bible and lots of dead fish. last nice tank was a built in 150 gal. now i am working on a new project that has been on my mind for the past 6 years. i am building a new 5 sided 400 gal tank 33" high using 3/4" glass on a 6" reinforced concrete enclosure with all equipment inside.i am using a ss 2" angle on the bottom and i will be using a ss channel to close the top. my question is has anybody use angle cut glass to avoid seeing the glass thickness on the corners. will appreciate any input. thanks will be posting progress.

Howdy! tough call on the angle cut, it will be really expensive and you may have trouble finding a shop with a bevel grinder, the angle cut will actually make the seam appear larger as the two faces will be more than 3/4 in width, what you want maybe is a 45 degree grind to 1/2 the thicknes, this gives a tighter fit and two opposed V shapes to bead the silicon in

Thanks to all for warm welcome. Picking up glass this week, 3/4" plate glass base, 1/2" starphire sides cut at angles. I will post pics later as assembly takes shape. Advise to all out there, go to wholesale glass place to have job done on site. Glass estimates varied to as much as 4 times what I finally ended up paying. There is a great difference in the clarity of the starphire glass. I will be bracing this 5 sided tank with glass and a ss top u channel while I wear my swimsuit.........................rudy

I anchored a 2"x 2" x 1/8" ss angle 21"x59"x26"x42"x49" welded it close to form the bottom enclosure leaving 1" to enclose the sides on top of the 3/4"base. The side will be 30" high after the tank is assembled I will install a u shape ss 1"x 3/4"x1" to lock the sides together. I still am designing what additional glass bracing I will need perhaps angle glass at bottom and top at all corners. Angle are 45,and 22.5. Base will have 5 holes, 2 for draining 3 for returns and 2 returns on 21" rear of tank...........rudy

type of ss? really think you will need glass brasses at bottom? at the top I can see it trying to lozenge and the ss won't be enough

stainless steel could also be alum still working on thickness and material bottom bracing will be to reinforce the corners. u top channel will be secured with silicone and the hood cover will overlap the outside of the glass..........rudy

ss should be in the 300 series of alloys for corrosion resistance, aluminum would be an iffy substitute, if the ss is being welded you'll have to be sure the filler rod is correct and possibly have it pickled in an organic acid after its finished, Id suggest regular mill run ss angle and have it epoxied and topcoated with a powdercoat finish

Back