new powerheads for Christmas!

buddy08

SPS Addict
which would you recommend? im running 2x maxi jets with mods right now but want to go to something more efficient. Family needs Christmas ideas and so far, thats the only thing I can come up with. I would love to have the mp40s but I know that isn't an option at the moment due to price.

I just recently got the new Hydor Smartwave for $70 and 4 Hydor Evolution 1400GPH Powerheads for my 220Gal for $43 each.

Total Price $242 and is better than one MP40 at $400.

I posted a bunch of videos to show it works awesome. I can't find a spot in the tank that doesn't have motion and I mean random waves.

I got the Smartwave Controller from Foster and Smith.

The pumps all came from Bulk Reef Supply but what happened was Foster and Smith had a great sale on the Evolution Pumps where they were $18 less per pump over any other place I could find so Bulk Reef matched the price on the 2 new ones I bought and they also refunded the difference on the 2 I already bought from them because I was just going to return them and buy all 4 from Foster and Smith.

Here is a link to a thread. I have other videos on my YouTube Channel. I want to get my tank set up a little more before I make a video for real and cut it together.

https://www.livingreefs.com/hydor-smartwave-t37350.html

kk thanks. Can't wait to see your video
That looks awesome. So I guess when I purchase my other powerhead I will be purchasing the hydor smartwave
Thanks

Last edited:
put in a request for 2 of these puppies and a smartwave controller :D Thanks phastroh. I wonder if 2 is enough or if i should go with 3? I have a 75gallon and the maxi mods are supposedly pushing 1600 GPH each

put in a request for 2 of these puppies and a smartwave controller :D Thanks phastroh. I wonder if 2 is enough or if i should go with 3? I have a 75gallon and the maxi mods are supposedly pushing 1600 GPH each

You can always start with 2 and add a 3rd if you need it

Well I have 4 in a 220Gal so 2 is probably fine. Just place them midway up across from each other in the tank.

You can keep the Maxis in there as well. I still have 3 other powerheads in there with these but 2 are 1250GPH just to ripple the surface and the other is a Nano that blows across the Acros.

Look at it this way. If you decided you want more powerheads you can add them later. You can plug a ton of powerheads into the Smartwave.

Another good option for Christmas is an ATO if you do not already have one.

This is true. Without my ATO I would already be sick of doing it manually.

I have a 10Gal tank for my Top Off and I have to put 6 gallon in it every other day. I have major evaporation. Some days are more than other.

I would probably put a 20Gal for top off if I had the tank.

I just ordered a jbj a.t.o. from marine depot, paid 78 after shipping which wasnt bad. theyre back ordered so it probably wont come in until next week but that will help keep my salinity stable. Im having to do it manually every 3 days but it was recommended for me to top off every day so I have an empty salt bucket next to the tank full of RODI water that im scooping water out of daily until then.

I just ordered a jbj a.t.o. from marine depot, paid 78 after shipping which wasnt bad. theyre back ordered so it probably wont come in until next week but that will help keep my salinity stable. Im having to do it manually every 3 days but it was recommended for me to top off every day so I have an empty salt bucket next to the tank full of RODI water that im scooping water out of daily until then.

Not bad since I paid $99 with free shipping at Pet Solutions but that was almost a year ago. I did have one of the floats stick one time and it was not from salt creep, it was just my mistake so be careful.

I have a pump and one float in my 10 Gal and one float in my return section this way the water tops off and doesn't run if it is too low in the top off tank.

So far this thing has been perfect. I use the hanging kit it comes with. I used to use the suction cups and they never came loose but when I go away for 2 days I like the hanging type just in case because with the suction cups the cup is out of the water for a while before it kicks in and could possibly dry up and fall in.

I am only 50/50 on that because I forgot how far below the float sensor that have the suction cup sitting. Either way the bracket doesn't fall ever.

I can post some pix of my sump set-up if you are interested. There are wires all over now because I just put in a new return pump and haven't cleaned it back up just yet.

yeah pictures would help, the bucket is a temporary fix until I move in 4 months, by then I hope to have more room for equipment and can better my overall setup.

A lot of people use buckets but I went with the 10Gal tank sine I had it and the room. Plus I got sick of not being able to to see the water level.

What good is a top off if you don't know how much is in it? Well that is my view.

I will snap some tonight. Maybe I can find some I already posted so let me go look.

No could only find pix of when I set up the tank and sump. Be back later.

Last edited:
Back