Hydor Smartwave

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I purchased 2 Hydor Evolution 1400's for my 220Gal and after research I purchase 2 more and the Smartwave Controller.

These new Hydor Powerheads are made to work with this Smartwave. The company told me that even though the recommend changing the front bushing every 6 months that it is not needed but I may need new covers and that if I email them, they replace them free.:Cheers:

So I will have the Smartwave and the 2 other 1400's next week by I think Fridayish.

So in total I will have 4 - 1400GPH Evos on the Smartwave and 3 - 1250GPH Aqueons going in the 220. That is 9350GPH.

My main question is how to best set up the 1400's

2 on each side directly across from each other or 2 on each side in different location.

It will be 2 on and 2 off set at maybe 1 minute intervals to start.

On the other side of the 220 I can feel the 1400 now. It really feels stronger than 1400.

I will face one or 2 of the 1250's at the surface. I have one blowing across my Acros that I will swap with a 1400 when I set this thing up.

I have a Pocillopra which love waves and it sits on the other side of the tank even with the Acros so that area is a no brainer. Just the top 2 facing each other.

Any thoughts on all this?

Ok I just got my Hydor Smartwave today. It said Saturday on the FedX site but to my delight the box was here today.

I will be setting it up maybe tomorrow because I have to get splitters so I can hook up 2 Evo 1400's to each plug.

I will do a sort of test with it and take pix for anyone interested.

Yeah I will post some pix later tonight. I have to get all ready to connect everything.

I am trying to find some sort of splitter for the plugs because I hate to have to use a small splitter and then run extension cords for 2 powerheads.

I would connect my 3 other powerheads to it as well but they are Aqueon and not made for this kind of on and off pulsing.

I may buy a few more 1400's and add them here and there. I don't think having 8 1400's would be so bad heehee all connected to the Smartwave.

I would hope the water doesn't start splashing out of the tank haha.

Last edited:
Ok I got it all hooked up and right away I can see the difference big time.

Here are a few photos just showing the stuff. I took some silly product pictures so no laughing haha.

I have some video of the corals but only my LEDs were on but you should still be able to see it. I tried to do a full shot on video to show that not all the corals are in the same spot with some even where you wouldn't think they would get the flow they are.

As a matter of fact the large bubble coral was barely moving until I hook this up.

I would have to say based on what I am seeing this is well worth it.

I have read complaints about the Evolutions clicking but eventually getting quiet but yeah my fish would dart away from them at first but they must have silent tanks because after like 5 minutes I couldn't tell what was on.

The only marker is my Torch. Whatever way it is blowing is the only indicator because it happens to be near a Powerhead. The rest of the corals are so random I could only guess.

I have 4 1400GPH Evolutions hooked up. 2 up top and 2 mid to low. They are set so that the top right and bottom left go on, then the top left and bottom right go on. Diagonally basically.

9 by Phastroh, on Flickr

7 by Phastroh, on Flickr

6 by Phastroh, on Flickr

5 by Phastroh, on Flickr

4 by Phastroh, on Flickr

3 by Phastroh, on Flickr

2 by Phastroh, on Flickr

1 by Phastroh, on Flickr

Here are the video links.

This first one is my first test to make sure the rest will show up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6on5Q_BJEw]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

Here are the rest of the videos. The Smartwave is set to 20 second intervals or 25 seconds. The unit has settings between the marked lines so I have it in between the 15 and 30 somewhere.

They are all taken under 6 blue LED's because it was bedtime in tankland and I was not gonna turn the lights on.

You can clearly see the product works pretty darn well. The last video I tried to show the whole tank but it wasn't that great but enough for you to see.

I am also putting photos up under the videos so you can see where the corals are if you can't in the video.

Of course I will shoot video tomorrow when the lights are on.

Just read the description on You Tube for each video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkXasNye2kw"]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDRIOxFwoMo"]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2hmWSZnYkg"]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFMcrK4s7U"]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9DvJCU2-oA"]Hydor Smartwave - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Here are some pix to show you where the corals reside in the tank.

Well this first one was my Doughnut Coral after a nice piece of scallop. It looks much different normally.

Oh yeah there is one photo with 3 of them or 2 sorry about that.

t6 by Phastroh, on Flickr

t5 by Phastroh, on Flickr

t4 by Phastroh, on Flickr

t2 by Phastroh, on Flickr

t1 by Phastroh, on Flickr

Yeah I remember that but at the time I was unaware the first 2 Evolution 1400's were the new type.

I bought the original 2 from Bulk Reef Supply but when I went to look for the Smartwave they said they were still waiting for them but Dr. F&S had them along with the Evoltion Pumps on sale for $43each instead of the $65each.

Bulk Reef matched the price on the first 2 I purchased as a refund and sold me 2 more at the $43 sale price. That is a savings of $88 which paid for the $70 Smartwave from Dr. F&S.

Just had to get those splitters and extension cords though.

I had an electrician install 2 20AMP fuses so I have 4 plugs with 40Amps with 12 Gauge Wiring for tank exclusive use.

On top of all this my Father-in-Law just got me for free APC 1500 SmartUPS for a backup. That thing is like $800. He got it free because they replaced it at work and it should be getting a brand new battery and firmware.

With that unit I can probably run the heater and return pump for a week. Of course it would last only like 8 hours with the whole set-up going.

Anyway yeah this stuff appears to be working awesome.

Total cost was $236 plus shipping and plug adapters. Very cost effective and to me it seems to work like any of those Big Dollar systems. I am far from hating on those so don't get me wrong as I know they work awesome as well.

It is simply amazing how far reaching the water movement is when nothing is even pointing remotely in those directions/areas. It really is night and day compared to the same powerheads with no controller. Frikin crazy to say the least.

I did a logo for this wholesaler and they said since I was half the cost of anyone else they will sell me an LED system when I can afford it at cost.

Last edited:
Back