New Saltwater Tank Build..What Do I Do?

You can make a overflow out of pvc that would cost less then 20$. Go to youtube and type in DIY overflow PVC. Much easier then buy a box or drilling a tank. It's what I'm going to do when I set up my sump/refug.
Why?
For 55 bucks, youll have an overflow box and not have to cut and glue and keep a constant prime. Drilling a tank is the best option, but tempered glass is the issue. Drilling is the easiest because there is very little risk on overflowing and up keep. This is from experience, not from a google head

Why?
For 55 bucks, youll have an overflow box and not have to cut and glue and keep a constant prime. Drilling a tank is the best option, but tempered glass is the issue. Drilling is the easiest because there is very little risk on overflowing and up keep. This is from experience, not from a google head

Amount of money spent in this hobby adds up quickly. If you are good with DIY projects and have the materials on hand or easily accessible, why not save a few bucks? 20 > 55. And it wouldn't take very long to cut and glue it anyway.

I love my canister filter. I actually rigged it as an refuge. I have it in 2 sections, in the bottom of the filter is a bunch of carbon and phosGuard, in the top I installed a bright LED to shine in the water and cause algae in the top half. Its doing great things for my tank.

Constant flow is the issues with a diy. If you loose syphion once, youll be quick to change your mind. I own my house, if i spill 20g of water on to my hard wood floor, it would be done for. 20 dollars vs 2000 dollars? Not saving any money

You can make a overflow out of pvc that would cost less then 20$. Go to youtube and type in DIY overflow PVC. Much easier then buy a box or drilling a tank. It's what I'm going to do when I set up my sump/refug.

lol i think you worded that wrong :P. I dont think any DIY project is easier than buying one already made

I have never had any luck with anything DIY.....always seems to break somehow. So question about a refugium. What do you use for a refugium? Live Sand?

You can do a deep sand bed, greater than 6inches. Cheato is used for nitrate and phosphate reduction( need a light to grow). You can you "majic mud" or even grow mangroves. These are all great options, just depends on the amount of room you will have.

Back