New Skimmer SCA-302 Breaking it in??

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows about breaking in this skimmer. It came with no directions only a diagram.

I have read that some companies say run it all the way open with the drain tube open. It is a cone skimmer. I will contact the company tomorrow if I need to.

We are going off for a couple of days in January and wanted to get it worked out if possible before my friend has to tank sit.

Thanks,
Angie

It'll wear down the factory oils. Manufacturers coat parts in oils so that the skimmers will have a longer shelf life. When u break in ur skimmer ur basically breaking down those factory oils , soaking in vinegar will speed up the process(supposedly, I've never done it, but I've heard of a lot of people that do).

I did not Soak mine, I Have the same one you do and i just washed it out with warm water. I then just started using it Really Wet. i had it to where the cup would fill up daily for about 2 weeks, then i lowered it down. it really depends on where your water level is also. mine is at 8 inches and i run it on 3.

I rinsed mine in warm water then ran it in the sump pump only for a few days. Turned the air on and was getting a good skim the next day.

Back