new sump

DSC00917.jpg

DSC01229.jpg

my tank become more stable since i got this sump, thanks for all the help guys, and a replaced that blue globe with a white one, and my entire sump is full of cheato now

For future reference calcium carbonates are polymorphs, meaning they have identical compositions but different crystalline structure. Same goes for Diamond and graphite. The round shaped aragonite is actually aragonite formed around a small particle of calcium carbonate. This only occurs in a few places under specific conditions. It is the most ideal form of aragonite for a deep sand bed. Aragonite dissolves at a pH low enough for it to contribute calcium, carbonates, magnesium and strontium to your tank. Crushed coral which is calcium carbonate does not normally dissolve in a marine reef aquarium as it requires a pH lower than what is normal to a typical reef tank, even one with a deep sand bed, so crushed coral does not contribute trace elements. An ideal sand bed is usually as deep as you can make it, at least 6 inches deep (preferably deeper). Any particles of sand substantially bigger then the smaller particles over time will end up at the top of your sand bed where they will trap detritus (bad), and the smaller particles will end up at the bottom (good). A good particle size is 1.0 mm or smaller. So with a bed of mixed sand with large particles added you will need to clean the detritus from the top of your sand bed occasionally with a siphon hose. A remote sand bed such as yours can function without light and only needs a couple of inches of water running over it. If it was my sump I would move the algae and light over to the compartment next to the skimmer and incraese the sand bed depth to where it is just two inches from the top of the sand to the divider heights. It is also best to cover a skimmer with black plastic bags to exclude all light if you are going to have a light anywhere in their vicinity, as other wise you will have coraline lage starting to grow on the inside walls of the skimmer. Coraline alge is hard to remove without scratching plastic. And a scratched skimmer does not work as well as one without scartches.

Last edited:
If you are referring to my response to this thread, my response references his questions in regard to depth and type of media in his sump.

For future reference calcium carbonates are polymorphs, meaning they have identical compositions but different crystalline structure. Same goes for Diamond and graphite. The round shaped aragonite is actually aragonite formed around a small particle of calcium carbonate. This only occurs in a few places under specific conditions. It is the most ideal form of aragonite for a deep sand bed. Aragonite dissolves at a pH low enough for it to contribute calcium, carbonates, magnesium and strontium to your tank. Crushed coral which is calcium carbonate does not normally dissolve in a marine reef aquarium as it requires a pH lower than what is normal to a typical reef tank, even one with a deep sand bed, so crushed coral does not contribute trace elements. An ideal sand bed is usually as deep as you can make it, at least 6 inches deep (preferably deeper). Any particles of sand substantially bigger then the smaller particles over time will end up at the top of your sand bed where they will trap detritus (bad), and the smaller particles will end up at the bottom (good). A good particle size is 1.0 mm or smaller. So with a bed of mixed sand with large particles added you will need to clean the detritus from the top of your sand bed occasionally with a siphon hose. A remote sand bed such as yours can function without light and only needs a couple of inches of water running over it. If it was my sump I would move the algae and light over to the compartment next to the skimmer and incraese the sand bed depth to where it is just two inches from the top of the sand to the divider heights. It is also best to cover a skimmer with black plastic bags to exclude all light if you are going to have a light anywhere in their vicinity, as other wise you will have coraline lage starting to grow on the inside walls of the skimmer. Coraline alge is hard to remove without scratching plastic. And a scratched skimmer does not work as well as one without scartches.

thanks for the heads up, i want to put reflectors around the light( yip, i already have some coraline growing in my skimmer)

i used sugarfine araganite(oo light),my dsb is about 12cm deep.
my second chamber also has cheato in it know,but i need to turn it every 2nd day,otherwise it won't get enough light and will die.

And i got myself a mantis tank(panoramic black oak stand,with 10mm thick glass), i just love my pecock mantis, his name is crawly:bounce::bounce:
i'l make a new thread later and show you guys.

Back