New Tang

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok, so got this little guy yesterday. I saw him eating the algae sheets at the store; he had been there for 2 days. Active swimmer.

Drip/temp acclimated for 2 hours, and put him in. After a few hours of pacing around the tank, he settled into a nice cave at the side closest to where I work (yay)...I clipped a small piece of algae sheet right in front of his cave.

Question is how much time in the tank before I should worry about him not eating? I haven't observed him eating the sheets yet. I"m going to soak some in garlic and try to slip it into his home to hopefully get him eating. But from everyones' experiences, have your tangs fed as soon as you put them in? When should I worry. He is a little guy, and skinny, so I know he will be more difficult to keep. Just want more insight. All the fish I've bought so far have eaten as soon as I put them in the tank.

Here are some pics:

DSC05486.jpg

DSC05487.jpg

I'm going through the same thing Wonton. I got a Lipstick Tang on Tuesday and he has yet to eat. Now it's stomach area is starting to sink in; a very bad sign. I figure mine has about 3 days left, if he doesn't start eating soon. Good luck to both of us! :x:

Aww...well, we'll just have to start our own "Starving Tang Support Group" Hehehehe

I hope yours pulls through. I covered my Tang's corner with towels to give him some privacy. Hopefully he'll start eating once I do the garlic thing.

Thanks all..will take all advice and put them all to good use :) I was thinking about the whole tying down to a rock idea earlier, too.

I'm going to make my own garlic. Just picked some up. Gonna follow that extremely simple instructions someone posted. How long do I soak the sheet in? I'm going to take one of the uninhabited pieces of lr and strap the sucker on there and put it near his home. Hope he doesn't freak out.

If it doesn't work, I'll try the zucchini and broccoli route. Frozen ones should be fine, right? I figured I'll just thaw them out.

yeah, i have used frozen from the store for about a year.Now i use stuff i freeze from my garden:D,my angel loves it(my tang did too RIP),and my triggs,but they'ed eat my shoe if i threw it in there:lol: Good luck to both of you..

Ok, I've got possible algae picking :D I couldn't tell because I was at an angle and didn't want to freak him out. But I definitely sawing him right on the algae sheet, loosening off some pieces :)

Wonton,

Have you given the emerald entree a try? The only thing that eats algae in my tank is my foxface..but they all go crazy for the emerald entree. Maybe that will kick him into gear.

Nice fish by the way...little miss shopping spree.

I'll give emerald a try...but I think the tang has been nipping on the algae sheets...on more than one occasion, he's been on the clip..but swims away once he sees me. I'll pick up some emerald, since i'm on a shopping spree ;)

I know you have been reading my thread too...the first time I saw him eat it was only 1 pellet.. the next time....it was 14.

Here is hoping it goes the same way for you!

LOL..yeah, i saw that...at least one pellet is better than none! And yours got the taste for the pellet and went with it :)

I've got a turbo snail that my foxface has to share his algae sheets with...That damn snail can get his groove on when he smells that algae sheet..I've got 3 turbos and it's the same one everytime..

Back