New tank, what volume?

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I just got a glass tank from CL, dimensions are 72" L x 18" W x 21" H.
What size category does this fall into?

Volume calculators peg this at 117 gallons. So is it a 110g? or a 120g?
Visually this thing makes my 55gal tank look like a sump.

I just stand back and look at the tank and tell myself "What the @#$@ did I get myself into this time!?"

Probably a 120 per the manufacturer which goes by outside dims usually.
And assuming 1/2" glass you are looking at it holding no more than 107 gallons.

Thanks Dennis.
Yeah the glass is 1/2" thick.

I'm still looking for a good stand for this.
After that will come the planning for the plumbing.
Once I have everything planned out I will start a tank thread for this.

Right now it is just an empty glass tank.

Cool, have you thought about building your own or having one built?
You may be able to find someone in your local reef community that builds stands as a side biz. That's how I got my stand built for my 130 cube and for a great price.

I actually saw one manufacturer with your size call it a 125, which doesn't make any sense to me. I was thinking about this lately with my new tank. Mine is 84x24x24 which I've been calling a 180 because that's the max amount of water it can hold but I think most would consider that a 200 based on the outside dims.

Yeah I have seen different stores mark this size tank from 100 to 125.
I guess it is just a marketing thing based on the footprint of 72"L x 18"W. This might be more for the purpose of matching a stand to it, regardless of the tank height.

I'll just call mine a 100g for practical purposes. I will not fill it up with any more water than that anyway.

I am trying to get a hold of local carpenters and cabinet makers to get a quote on having a stand built. I am comparing the cost of having one made versus buying from aquarium dealers.
The prefabricated ones range from $600 to $900 so I am hoping a local cabinet maker can make one for less cost, considering that I am not going for an ornate stand. I just want one that is functional, yet beautiful enough to be inside the house.

Back