New to hobby

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
My name is Angie. I am a stay at home, homeschooling mom of a 13 year old son. He has been interested in marine biology for 7 years always interested in Nat Geo shows and the Baltimore aquarium. We purchased a Biocube 14 and are setting it up this weekend with live sand and live rock. Our plan is using R/O water. Can anyone help me with the best reasonably priced testing kit to get? How long do I need to cycle tank before adding a hermit crab, shrimp or goby?
My plan is to have him observing, testing water, etc for a grade in science as well as studying biology which we have just begun.
Thanks for any help. I have experience in freshwater, but none in salt.

Hello and Welcome!!!

How long you need to wait depends on how long the tank takes to cycle. Using all live rock usually means a fast cycle, so about a week. But you wont know until you actually do. So drop in the piece of table shrimp as soon as you can to get the cycle going.

The best test kits for basics IMO are the API test kits. You can get one with all the basics for around $20 online. Just make sure the kit has ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH. That will be everything you need to start off with.

I would read this article for a good rundown on the water chemistry and the tank cycle.
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html

Thanks everyone. If I use RO water, do I need the table shrimp? I am guessing they introduce bacteria for the tank to cycle.
Thanks,
Angie

I have read so much that I feel like my brain is mush. The RODI water does not have ammonia. I read about the nitrogen cycle and now it makes sense.

We will let thinks settle out at least a couple of weeks and test the water as we go.

What would be the best first thing to put in the tank? We will be waiting for corals.
Thanks for all your help. I want to help my son have success with this.
Angie

well once the cycle finishes you want to do your waterchange then throw in your CUC ( clean up crew) consisting of snails ( astrea, cerith, dwarf cerith, nass, maybe a turbo or two) brittle star.. Then start looking for what you want to throw in for fish, rule of thumb 1 fish per 10 gallon

Back