new to marine tanks

scotjack

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I've been looking to invest in a marine tank and have done quite a bit of searching. I have come across this company

The Ultimate Marine Aquarium - Home

who offer a custom build with a system they claim doesn't need water changes. has anyone here used them?
The quote supplied to me for the specifications requested are:

The aquarium 1300 x 600 x 700 x 10mm float glass with 1 x weir and blue backing
cabinet 1300 x 600 x 750 in oak with matching hood.
sump 1000 x 450 x 350 x 8mm glass with three sections
section 1 inlet from aquarium protein skimmer and pump
section 2 deep bed sand filter 2 x 300w heaters
section 3 return pump and bio balls
1 x refugium light
1 x 1200 x 4 tube T5 light unit.
1 x wave maker
test kits

Price £1750 plus vat.

Additional Equipment

RO unit and float switch £162
UV sterilizer and pump £178
Live rock @ £12 kilo 60 kilos required
Packing and delivery £160

Does this sound like a fair price for whats offered?

Is this the correct amount of live rock for a tank this size ?( 400ltrs)

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Hello and welcome to the site...it's a sales pitch to offer a system that doesn't need water change. Every saltwater tank need water changes. And you'll probably come out cheaper to setup the tank yourself...or check your local craigslist.com for people selling their systems and/or equipment.

I'm curious so I gotta ask. Who changes the water in the ocean? I agree that that set up is likely a sales pitch just to sell a tank because we all no there is no such thing as not having to do water changes, but it got me thinking. Our goal is to mimic a natural reef as closely as possible. If we had all the proper equipment to do that then why do we have to do water changes?

I'm curious so I gotta ask. Who changes the water in the ocean? I agree that that set up is likely a sales pitch just to sell a tank because we all no there is no such thing as not having to do water changes, but it got me thinking. Our goal is to mimic a natural reef as closely as possible. If we had all the proper equipment to do that then why do we have to do water changes?

Because the ocean is practically infinitely larger than the largest aquarium, and has reached an equilibrium between nutrient export, import, rainfall, evaporation, you name it.

In the ocean, fish eat other fish that are already in the ocean. In our tanks, we add food. This added food causes a net import of nutrients. So we have to export them by water changes, or other means.

In the ocean, corals soak up calcium and other minerals that are released by the crashing waves on the beaches, or rain water run off, or even from parrot fish that consume stony corals and partially digest their skeletons. In our tanks, we don't have that so we need to either dose to get those minerals back up, or do water changes.

I sure hope that your question wasn't rhetorical because it was a good one

I also agree with Smitty that you could get your system much cheaper, but if it's worth it to you to get an all in one, then go for it. Just as long as you know that you will have to do water changes.

Back