New to the forum

jneigh1

Reefing newb
Hello this is my first fish forum or really the first forum i have ever visited. I have a picasso trigger and a small aggressive three striped damsel in a 150 gallon tank with live rock and sand. i want to add an emperor angelfish and a volitan lionfish and make sure everyone will get along (i will take out the damsel of course). The picasso triggerfish is my first "big fish" and i love him, he comes right up to the glass begging for food every time i am near. Can some one who has kept this fish or triggers in general let me know any tips for keeping him healthy and or what fish you have kept with the fish, thank you.

Re: made a trip to my new LFS today!!

Jneigh you should try asking this question in a new thread it will probably get more traffic there, also if you have done so make an introduction thread.

J, I started a new thread for you. People will respond to it if they think it's a new question!

Your fish combination should work fine. I have a trigger in my reef tank (a pink tail trigger). His name is Tangent and he's awesome. They are pretty hardy, easy to care for fish. The main thing is to keep them well fed, because they eat A LOT. Especially if you try to keep them with other animals that they aren't usually compatible with, you want to feed them enough so that they don't get hungry and eat your expensive coral or decorative shrimp. You don't seem to have that problem, since you didn't mention a reef tank set up, so keeping a trigger is pretty straightforward for you.

I've also found that triggers can be more susceptible to ich than other fish. Tangent gets a white spot here or there every once in a while, and he was especially bad when I first bought him and added him to the tank. I've had him for a long time now, and it never manifests itself as more than a spot or two. Just something to keep in mind, to try and keep your water quality high to keep your fish's immune systems healthy.

Along that train of thought, are you supplementing their food with anything? For fish like that, it's a good idea to add a vitamin supplement to their food before feeding. Selcon is the brand I use.

Oh and welcome!

Back