New with some questions (photos too)

Theres not much you can do to check a skimmer unless you want to mix up some saltwater and see if it produces a bunch of bubbles.Even on established tanks,if the dissolved organics are minimal,then the skimmer probably wont get a whole lot of gunk in the cup.It cant pull whats not there.
And go with a 48" T-5 with 6X 54 watt bulbs with individual reflectors.That way theres no doubt you got enough light for any coral,anemone,or clam you might want to keep.

I don't like the tank in front of the window. I think thats going to cause algae problems and temperature swings.

You'll be fine with 30-50lbs of rock just to get started. But then you'll have to be patient when adding each new piece of rock. Each piece of rock will cause a little bit of ammonia and nitrates. Even though we buy it "cured" from the store, it's really not cured all the way and will continue to cure and produce nitrates in our tanks for a month or so.

Don't save a bunch of cash and dump 50lbs in all at once. After you get the tank set up and get your first 50lbs in there. Let it cycle. Now each time you want to add some more rock, I'd go with no more than 8 -- 12 lbs. Add the new rock and then watch for a spike in nitrates as the new rock additions cure over the course of a month or 6 weeks.

Wait 6 - 8 weeks between new additions of rock. Put in 10 lbs or so and wait a couple more months. Watch the nitrates. Do water changes to reduce nitrates if they go over 20ppm.

Just go slow. The best thing you can do with a reef is go slow. It'll take you a year or more to get the tank built and balanced out.

I actually rearranged my room and now the tank is far to the left not in front of the window anymore, that was just temporary. Yeah slow would be the best thing too cause it gives me time to save up $$ for this stuff.

I actually rearranged my room and now the tank is far to the left not in front of the window anymore, that was just temporary. Yeah slow would be the best thing too cause it gives me time to save up $$ for this stuff.

This is one hobby that being on a tight budget actually helps the outcome.:D The budget FORCES you to take it slow and easy.

Ok so with these Rodi filters so this is probably the one to get right?
KMD eCommerce Crop.

So how does it work exactly. Could I just put the correct plumbing fitting on, hook it up to my hose and run the clean water output to the tank and the waste water outside/down the drain? These things are kind of slow too right? Kinda of like the same rate as the filters you put on your kitchen sink faucet for drinking water right?

Also do you think it's worth it to buy it in my situation. I live about 10 minutes away from the fish store and they charge .$50 per gallon, so what I figured is if I got it from them I would have to get like several 5 gallon buckets and then make several trips back and forth and then I would have to worry about spilling it when I was trying to fill the tank with the big bucket and then every time I would do any type of water change I would have to buy more.

Ok so with these Rodi filters so this is probably the one to get right? Yup, that's a good one...you may also want to check out one of the dual output/pressurized units if you like drinking the stuff too :mrgreen:
KMD eCommerce Crop.

So how does it work exactly. Could I just put the correct plumbing fitting on, hook it up to my hose and run the clean water output to the tank and the waste water outside/down the drain? These things are kind of slow too right? Kinda of like the same rate as the filters you put on your kitchen sink faucet for drinking water right? Ya, a little slow, especially if you don't get the pressurized unit. As for the hose, you still have to mix in your salt before you put it in your tank (for water changes), but even for top offs, I doubt you're gonna have enough pressure to make the distance, you would need some sort of water pump. Ditto for the waste water out to the drain.

Also do you think it's worth it to buy it in my situation. I live about 10 minutes away from the fish store and they charge .$50 per gallon, so what I figured is if I got it from them I would have to get like several 5 gallon buckets and then make several trips back and forth and then I would have to worry about spilling it when I was trying to fill the tank with the big bucket and then every time I would do any type of water change I would have to buy more.

It's worth it in the long run if you can afford the upfront cost (I can't :sad: ) as for getting the water from you LFS...for the initial set-up, you will need quite a few 5-gallon jugs (don't use buckets unless they have some sort of screw on lid), most LFS will let you purchase the jugs to get the water home and then return the ones you no longer need for a credit/refund after you're set-up...I kept 3, 2 for salt, and 1 for fresh. I buy water once a week typically, sometimes twice, but my LFS is more like 5 minutes away...and it gives me an excuse to go to the LFS and "window shop" :lol:

Ok well how much PSI do I need incoming? The only thing I don't like about that website is there is not really any technical data on the filters or any links to data sheets or instruction manuals. How about if I tapped a line into the bathroom sink 10 feet away from my room and ran a smaller hose (to keep higher pressure) and then ran it to the filter and then to the tank (for filling at least). Also using this same principle I could use smaller hose line to maintain higher pressure with my original idea.

Ok well I have purchased the water filtration system from purewater club so it should be coming soon. Anyone know where they ship from? I also bought some Instant Ocean salt in a huge bucket for 160 gallons so that should leave me set for a while.

Now I had a couple more questions. I need a couple more ways of getting good circulation besides the 2 powerheads I already have. I know these are off brand but would they do the job? 2 NEW 800GPH WAVE MAKER AQUARIUM WATER PUMP POWERHEAD - eBay (item 180399375873 end time Aug-28-09 18:43:06 PDT)

Also, when I was reading more about the Berlin system it said something about good lighting, but would I be good with the 4 fluorecent bulbs as long as I don't have any corals yet?

if you have no corals you're fine; ultimately you want to have at least 4 watts a gollon (in your case a 250W MH or two 150W MH's would be good for your main light, then two 4 foot Actinics of 14W each and some moonlight LEDs would be IDEAL, but not necessary)

Thanks. No one answered my question about the ebay item yet, but I have another question or two.

So as far as live rock, what type should I really go with? I know like fiji is the most expensive but honestly Caribbean looks nice too and is much cheaper. I'm honestly considering getting the live rock online though because at my LFS it costs like $9.00 a pound which is a little pricey (of course they lower it $2 once you get more than 25 lb.). Another place with lots of fish stuff that I checked out was petco and the only problem was that there live rock is already pre categorized when they receive it (based on weight and size it is grouped by small medium and large) so I thought that might be a better alternative after I already have a good base of live rock.

I have heard debates on buying online and I've heard that it can be really good if you get it from a reputable dealer. I actually checked petco's website and they had some good deals on 20 lb. and 45 lb. packages that pound for pound end of being quite cheap (even shipping isn't unreasonable). Also when I talked to someone at Petco they told me that getting from the website is the same pretty much because it's cured and when they get it in the store they get it from the same exact people and just put it into their tanks.

Here are the one's I was looking at:
Live Rock Fiji Premium at PETCO
Live Rock Caribbean at PETCO

but see I don't see a problem with getting the cheaper Caribbean kind, it looks just as good IMO.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Also if you know some other reputable websites that sell live rock let me know.

If you are looking for another site; everyone typically suggests these guys:
Live Rock and Live Sand: Live Saltwater Aquarium Rock and Sand

As for Fiji vs. Carribean; I actually have some of this Haitian stuff and not only does it provide a lot of good hiding places for fish, if creates a lot of interesting swim throughs. I bought one piece cured that was completely purple, but the first piece I bought when i was cycling my tank was uncured and now it's growing Green Coraline :12: :sratchch: ...you could say I'm pretty happy with it :mrgreen:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+1669&pcatid=1669

As for your Ebay question: those powerheads look like cheap knock-offs of Hydor's Koralia 3's. It's tempting at a 1/4 of the price of retail, but just little things bother me that either tell me it's going to be unreliable or not that great a performer. For example, the 3 little suction cups on the back verses Koralia's 1 large suction cup with adjoing external magnet; the fact that they are actually $30 for the pair where 1 K3 is on sale on the Drs' site for $33 and that's a hell of a deal. Typically, in all things, you get what you pay for, however, every so often you do pay a lot extra for name brands. So in the end, what I'm saying is that you'll never know till you try, but I would probably pass and get the genuine article.

Oh ya, speaking of getting what you pay for...Petco does seem to be a pretty good deal, but I have heard that their live rock has A LOT of die off and minimal hitch hikers

Last edited:
Theres one problem I can see right off the bat with those powerheads.
Like Kid pointed out,those suction cups.They'll eventually turn loose and let the powerhead fall.If it falls in or gets aimed at the sand,you'll have a hell of a mess with sand blown everywhere.

Heres another good place to get live rock.Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock
Pricey,but its good rock.And its aquacultured so your not taking away from a wild reef.

What about this: Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Fiji Foundation Rock

or this: Saltwater Live Rock for Marine Aquariums: Fiji Standard Live Rock

Both reasonably priced. Remember I am wanting to start out with about 45 lbs. and then move up slowly (maybe getting some more attractive expensive pieces) but for the initial base I don't want to be paying $9 a pound just because someone thinks that it look pretty. Eventually I'm gonna have a lot of it covered in corals and stuff anyways.

For a new tank set-up, I'd go with the standard. $5 more for 10 extra pounds, might as well. Ya, you won't get all the hitch hikers and blah, blah, blah, but at 45lbs you'll be well on your way to capacity. Shoot, if you could afford both, that would be perfect, then all you would need would be one nice 10lb cured show piece to seed everything else and you'd be done. I'm pretty sure you're trying to stick to one or the other though, so get the standard, and you can always seed it later, after this stuff has cured.

Ok cool. Ok so as far as circulation, I have the 2 powerheads that my aquarium came with, since they are normal power heads how should I mount them in the tank to get good circulation? Also I figured I could buy one of those hydor koralia circulation pumps and then I would probably be set on cirulation right? Which one should I get?

For a 55 gallon tank, a Koralia 3 would be perfect.

You should mount the two you have one in each back corner, and have them facing the front, at an angle (so both of them are sort of pointing towards the center of the tank). They should be mounted near enough to the water's surface to cause the surface to ripple.

don't use buckets unless they have some sort of screw on lid), :lol:

why? convienience? or is there a more complex rason?

i've been using the HDPE #2 white paint buckets from walmart for over 6 months now, they dont have a screw on lid, hell they dont even have a rubber gasket, but i haul 35-40 gallons of water across town in thoes in the back of the pickup every other week or so (thier lids are snap on)

yea, a little bit will drip out, but not enough to wory about in the back of a truck...

Back