Newbie Obsessed

jayb123

Reefing newb
Hey everybody, I have had a 55 gallon Saltwater tank for about three weeks now and it is taking control of my life slowly. I have been doing alot of reading and am getting educated on the whole ecosystem. Here is my setup so far, let me know if you can point out some obvious mistakes. I started out with 4 damsel fish, 20lbs of live rock, a few snails, a starfish, I have 1 powerhead a heater, UV lights, Biowheel (which I am replacing asap). I started with live bacteria, changing 10% water a week, temp. around 75, Purpleup calcium once per day. Please pick me apart I need to know what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions on a good filter?

Hello and welcome!

What are your water parameters? It sounds like you added a lot of animals before your tank has cycled -- all four fish probably will not live through it (which in my opinion is okay, damsels will only cause trouble for you later on when you try to add more fish -- they are extremely aggressive and will kill other fish). Also, the snails and starfish are more sensitive to water parameters than fish, they may not fare well through the cycle either.

You should aim for 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon of water, so 50 to 100 lbs for your tank would be ideal. Live rock acts as an excellent natural filtration system and houses plenty of good bacteria.

If you are planning on keeping corals or anemones, you will have to upgrade your lights, but what you have now works just fine for fish only.

If your tank has not fully cycled yet, doing water changes will only prolong it. Again, post your important water parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and alkalinity) and we can probably help you out more there.

As for a good filter, go with a protein skimmer. I would recommend the Aqua C Remora Pro. You can order it online. Stay away from the Sea Clone for sure.

You shouldn't need to dose calcium everyday just dose to when its low. I think you have added way too much way too fast. You said your tanks only 3 weeks old and you have 4 damsels and a star. star need good stable water I think you should have got him alittle later down the road. What kind of star is it? I would also remove the biowheels, they will cause excess nitrates. You dont really need to add a filter but for a 55 I would really look into a good skimmer. A good skimmer will help you out ALOT. And I would also add atleast 1 more powerhead for better water movement. If you dont have enough water movment it can cause algae outbreaks. Welcome to the site and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask them.

welcome to the site. just sit tight and be patient now. test your water parameters at least every 3 to 5 days and log the systems progress/cycle. when your ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0 you can then do water changes to lower the nitrates, or, just keep doing what you are doing except discontinue the purple up at present, and do not add any more live stock for a couple months or until your water parameters stablize for at least 3 weeks or better. it takes time for your biological filter bed to establish itself and too much too quick can cause a new tank syndrome episode or system crash, so, enjoy what you presently have and concentrate on working with them and monitoring your water parameters. bring up your water temperature a degree or two at least. good luck, and welcome to the site.

Thanks everyone for the replys, It is greatly appreciated. Im gonna have to practice patience and just let the tank cycle through. Thanks again J

You got some great info Jayb.
Trust me,I know how hard it is to be patient.I just started my 55 back in Feb.
Now I'm working on a 90,so I'll be playing the waiting game again.
The only thing you need to do for right now is keep your tank topped off and test your water quality.Ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate are the most important at this stage.
And toss that bottle of purple up in the trash.It aint worth the time it takes to open it.
Good luck,post pics,and welcome to the reef.

welcome to the addiction. it sounds like you are well on your'e way to joining reef aholics anonomous like the rest of us.

Back