newbie period

NoQuarter

Reefing newb
arghh I just typed a REALLY REALLY LONG message and when I hit the sumbit, it gave me a mesage I wasn't logged on, hit back and it was gone!!!!!!!

crap, crap, crap!!!!!!! heh, the first paragraph was bitching internet forums and information... lol, the irony :grumble:

Anyway, i've got 2 holes already drilled in the tank, one is 1 3/8 and the other is 1 11/16.... Whay type of bulkheads should I get and should I see about redrilling them?

sigh... all my greetings and other tank questions can wait... wow all that stuff I typed....gone.....jeez that was sickening.

Welcome to the Reef first of all.

I'm not to sure about the bulkheads,so I'm going to leave that one to somebody else.I'm sure other will jump in later on.

As for redrilling your tank,I dont think I would risk it.But thats JMO.

Heavy Duty Bulkhead Tank Adapter Pipe Size to Hole Size Chart

Pipe Size
Hole Size
1/4"
7/8"
3/8"
1"
1/2"
1 3/8"
3/4"
1 5/8"
1"
1 7/8"
1.25"
2 3/8"
1.5"
2 5/8"
2"
3 1/4"
3"
4 1/2"
4"
5 1/2"
6"
8 1/4"
  • New Bulkhead Tank Adapter (Light weight bulkhead) New bulkhead features:
  • Lighter guage material.
  • Lower cost
  • Three designs to choose from
Pipe Size
Hole Size
1/2"
1 1/8"
3/4"
1 7/16"-1 1/2"
1"
1 3/4"

well that happened WAy different than i posted it !!

Last edited:
thanks, and thanks for the welcome.

yah i've looked at alot of bulkheads, found the 1 3/8" one, but the other is iffy....1 5/8 is the closest smaller one...just scared the 1 5/8" would leak.

as far as the dual slip or dual thread? that just a matter of preference?

I'm building a custom cabinet out of old warped wood we had lying around, heh. Amazing enough, it's going better than I thought.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but the main tank is 65 gallons with overflow and two pre drilled holes at the bottom. Under it will be a 30 gallon tank on a sliding shelf.

Gonna see if I can can hard plumb it to a certain point, then use flex pipe to allow for the sliding out of shelf.

I got the tank from my mom, who just bought it and put it in storage.... hasn't been set up in years. I'm pretty sure whoever had it before, used both the drilled holes for drain and had a pipe over the top for reflow. It's the only pipe that came with it, and it's to big and to long to have been used through the holes.

I guess I'll use the 30 gallon for sump/refuge after i figure what all that does or if i even need it...heh

intial startup of saltwater tank is a little more than I assumed...

One of the drilled hole was for the drain into a sump,The other is for the return pipe.You can use PVC,or you can get the barbed bulkheads and use flex pipe,your choice.

As for what a sump/fuge does.
The sump is basically just a seperate tank for your filtration,heater,skimmers,and other equipment that you dont want to be seen in your main tank.
The refugium is just that,its a place for the good stuff to grow and breed without your fish eatting them.But it also exports unwanted nutrients through the use of deep sand,live rock,and macro algae.
Both add volume to your tank,which helps to keep perimeters stabilized.

Yeah,theres quiet a bit that goes into the intial start up of a marine system.But its well worth the effort and cost when its up and running.

A 3/4 in bulkhead will probably fit the 1 3/8 hole. A 3/4 needs a 1 1/2 in hole so you will be 1/8 inch off but might fit. The 1 11/16 hole will fit a 1" bulkhead. A 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4 hole which makes 1 12/16. I would say you need a 1" drain and are using 3/4 return. You can get both the bulkheads you need off of these site.Double Threaded Bulkhead Fittings
Big Al's Online -

Last edited:
I dont like the barbed; leave too many places to leak. I prefer hard pipe and either glue or silicone. Those bulkheads should fit just perfect. Even if they were loose like you were worried about it will still work fine. I have a hole in my tank and the bulkhead has about a 1/4 gap all around it and when screwed on works fine.

A 3/4 in bulkhead will probably fit the 1 3/8 hole. A 3/4 needs a 1 1/2 in hole so you will be 1/8 inch off but might fit. The 1 11/16 hole will fit a 1" bulkhead. A 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4 hole which makes 1 12/16. I would say you need a 1" brain and are using 3/4 return. You can get both the bulkheads you need off of these site.Double Threaded Bulkhead Fittings
Big Al's Online -

i agree with the 1" drain and 3/4" return. that is the standard for most Reef Ready tanks.

Hi and welcome! I can't really help with any plumbing questions, I leave that kind of work to my minions! ;) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Sounds like you are on your way to a pretty sweet setup.

Welcome to the reef. If you check out the Tank Showcase threads they are very informative and has lots of pics.

Back