Newbie wanting to jump in with both feet...needs your 2 cents

kallan

Reefing newb
Hi, I have not begun my journey into saltwater yet. In fact, I know nothing about it! I have experience with freshwater fish, plants and shrimp only. Oh, I do have a 7,500 gallon koi pond, too. I have found a 70 gallon setup and was wondering your opinions on this tank. For example, has it been well maintained? If not, can I bring it back. How much do you think it's worth.? I have not actually gotten up close and personal with it yet. What should I be looking out for? How would I break everything down? (2 hours away) I know I'd need to have a few strong guys. I assume I could keep the live rock in there and just move the few fish? This person recommended 'Saltwater for Dummies.' I could ebook it and take a crash course. I've had luck making anything I nurture grow and thrive. Okay, help me out here...I'm ready for your 2 cents!!! The tank needs to be moved by mid-May, so I don't have a lot of time! Thanks.
Ruby

Attachments

• Saltwatertank.70gal.2.jpg
    Saltwatertank.70gal.2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 328
I dont see any initial problems. Glass needs to be scraped of Coraline algae, and it would clean up nicely, its got a good light fixture on it it looks like. I wouldnt pay more than 300 or 400 for the setup if possible. However, they might be stingy with all the extras you are getting rock light fixture etc.

Hello and Welcome to the Reef!

+1 Cathic

And would suggest some higher quality books than the saltwater for dummies book

Here is a list of great books to get
https://www.livingreefs.com/ideal-books-reef-keepers-t19535.html

In the mean time here are several articles that will be extremely helpful to read while you wait to get your other books
https://www.livingreefs.com/water-chemistry-t31270.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/basic-equipment-list-t19611.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/why-using-tap-water-bad-idea-t19865.html
https://www.livingreefs.com/choose-your-fish-t27083.html

Hi and welcome! There are some nice corals (and some algaes) in there. It looks to be pretty well maintained.

To move it, you'd have to remove everything --- put the rocks in some coolers or 5 gallon buckets and keep them wet. You should probably start with new sand as well. You don't want to leave the rocks in the tank when you move it.

Hey, guys,
Thanks for all the valuable information. I'm reading up on all the stickies now....crash course. The person has offered to go over maintenance, etc., too. I'm worried about the weight of the tank, as well. This house I bought has supports set at 19 1/2", I think, instead of the 16" I'm used to. I wonder how much of an issue that would be? I'd love to have it in my living area...not my basement! Maybe set it up as a divider in my kitchen area. How much do you think it would weigh with rock, water, 30 gal. sump, etc.? Would I be asking for trouble? I can't stop thinking about it....I'm obsessed. My husband does not think I should be getting this tank, but he doesn't seem to go for a lot of things I want! At least I don't buy expensive clothes, watch tv...we don't have cable (an occasional good movie...Redbox), or have too many expensive hobbies,:wink:so far. Oh, no, I'm trying to justify my wanting this! I told my husband maybe I should put him in a tank!!:lol: Oh, well, we'll see how this unfolds. I know it will be a lot of work for me and a few others I enlist to help me. I wonder if a lfs would have some experienced people to help me with the move if I get that far? Sorry, to keep rambling on. Again, thanks for your knowledge and support.

hi and welcome to the site..

You should be looking at under 1000 pounds, water, rock, tank, stand, sump , I would just cross the joists with the weight that way the weight is being dispersed over 2 to 3 joists.. then it wont be an issue for you...

Last edited:
Girl if you like it and want it get it! Its very expensive to start up a tank so if you can get one already going for a few hundred you are lucky.

My advice is to research everything take notes on how they tell you to maintain it and ask lots of questions!

That tank looks great, nice corals and coraline. If it's possible I would suggest asking your local fish store how much they might charge to take care of your fish while you're busy getting the tank setup. That way you'll be way less stressed during the move since you won't have a time constraint of getting your fish set up in the new home.

Thanks for all the extra information you gave me.....
I just got back from looking at the reef tank. Stand needs to be reworked a bit. The doors don't quite open and close evenly, hinges are bent and rusty and a board is missing on the front. A water change has not been done in 3-4 months and there's a tang that has not grown much in 5 years so I assume he won't grow for me(2 1/2")...she feels it has hole in the head....swims horizontally and upside down a lot, but I can live with that. The two clowns look healthy. She did not know what her parameters were and was unsure the temperature of the tank. The strip on the tank registered a bit over 80, I believe. Overall, things look pretty good, as far as a newbie can tell. There is a bit of the green ball algae on some of the corals and all over the powerheads. How do I get that cleaned up without stirring it up and spreading it on everything? It needs a thorough cleaning while I have it broken down. There is only a few inches in the sump and the protein skimmer did not seem to have water in it, but she said it needed cleaning and then it would bubble. I feel I need to rescue them before the heat comes...I don't think she has air conditioning.

I've ordered 5 books Aquarium Corals:Selection, Husbandry,etc. by Borneman, Marine Fishes by Michael, The New Marine Aquarium by Paletta, Reef Secrets by Nilsen, and Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook by Goldstein. When I get deeper into it, I'll get more of the expensive ones as reference, but these will get me started.

I haven't settled on a price yet. I found Ultimate Aquariums that might be able to move it for me. They have't gotten back with me yet and the tank is about 1 1/4 hours from my house, so it may get a bit expensive. I don't know how long it would take to disassemble and pack it up and put the tank back together. If I don't hear from them soon, I may try and do this thing myself with one other person...we'll see. I really need someone to help me get it started...the sump, water parameters, etc. the first time.

Ruby

Back