Newbie with ?s about LR

AlwaysImproving

Reefing newb
I set up my tank about 3 days ago and there is alot of white stuff coating some of the rock. It isn't anything ive ever seen before and it resembles icing you would put on a cake. I will work on getting pictures but theres also very short hairy like bacteria growing on my big 14lb rock.

I got a deal on 4 little corals so I threw them in there and the one small zoo has a big dark black spot on it, anybody know what that is? I know your not supposed to put in nething but I did so please no smart comments on that.

Im not close to any LFS, is there any chance they survive while its cycling? I have a leatherhead, a zoo, and a little purple tentacle one with green tips on the end. My tank is not cloudy btw, it is in fact very clear. I have 2 filters, protein skimmy, and apowerhead pretty much thats it.

How do I fix this or will the cycling process correct it? Besides the white icing there is alot of stuff growing on the rock. The rock my purple coral is sitting on is turning purplish green also. Is my tank really that messed up already for 3 days old? If its not how long will this last?

Last edited:
Do some water tests and post some parameters so we can get a baseline of where your at. At three days, you are barely into the ammonia phase of the cycle. Your corals wont make it if there is ammonia preent in the water. Your tank is perfectly normal. Its justt cycling. It will fix itself over time, but if the corals do not come out they will die. Was the LR cured when you put it in there? also, did you use tank water from someone elses? If yes, your cycle time will be cut down dramatically. Good luck and get those parameters posted ASAP.

I agree with BigH.

If you have no access to any kind of LFS or anyone with an established tank, then i would remove them and put them in a small tank (or bucket) and change the water on a daily basis while the main tank cycles. Try to prevent them from being exposed to ammonia. Have a light for them. They will survive if you make the effort to keep the water clean.

Last edited:
Back