Non-Biased Opinions Please

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Hey all, I was wondering if I could get your non-pro photographic opinions. :D

I just finished processing some pics from a studio session with a friend and his guitar. He was looking for some reference photos for a self portrait (he is a fine artist) and wanted some full length shots which i had a few ideas for but I also wanted to try a few more intimate portraits too.
I don't normally shoot people, so I was wondering if you are drawn to any of these more than others. If you think they all suck, that's ok too. I can take it. I'm used to beating myself up. :kruecken:

First post here on my new blog.
Blue Lemon Photo Blog

Thanks!

I really like any of the full-body ones. The ones where he is cut off at the waist just don't do it for me like the whole person ones do. Not sure why!

I liked the full shot of him sitting (2nd one), and the one of him from behind. The ones of him w/o the guitar seemed out of context -- like he should be in the back of a book cover as the author :D

There is a gap between the 2 light source from left and right, especially on the 2nd picture on his face.

I see that you're trying to have a brighter light source on one side and a weaker one on the other, but the weaker one seems to be not diffuse enough, see the 5th, 6th, 7th one. Looks kind of odd.

I like the one where he is sitting. Also the one where he is standing facing us holding the guitar down by his feet.

The one where he has his back to us reminds me of some album cover art... cant remmber the artist or the album, but remember seeing something very similar before.

This is the album cover that the one reminds me of.. none other than Bruce Springsteen

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Springsteen-Greatest-Hits/dp/B000002B30/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280704367&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Bruce Springsteen - Greatest Hits: Bruce Springsteen: Music[/ame]

There is a gap between the 2 light source from left and right, especially on the 2nd picture on his face.

I see that you're trying to have a brighter light source on one side and a weaker one on the other, but the weaker one seems to be not diffuse enough, see the 5th, 6th, 7th one. Looks kind of odd.

Ya, on #2 there's probably a little too much shadow on the forehead.
But we were going for shadow on the face and a more dramatic lighting, especially since he's doing a painting from these. The last thing we wanted was an evenly lit Olan Mills photo. :mrgreen:

Thanks, guys. It's always interesting to see which way people gravitate. Personally, I like the last few that are a bit more candid and personal, but that's probably because I know him.

Call me odd, but I like pictures 1, 3, and 5 the best. :twocents:

Not to say they are not all great shots as we have come to expect from you.

I would like most of them better if there wasn't so much shadow on his face. I think it's important to see the artist's face as if to look into their soul so to speak. When it's hard to see the face because of the shadows I feel like I can't really truly see the artists. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it but I think the face and character or artist is important. Maybe someone can help me explain what I'm trying to say. ;)

Personally i love B&W's ,makes him stand out and has more detail and your main focus is on him...the others i was too worried about how the background looked and he didn't really stand out to me..

I like the third and fourth ones the best. The fourth one, with back to us does remind me of an album cover- I was thinking Mellencamp but Springstein does come up too. So, I suppose I will have to say #3. It is relaxed and he is looking back at the audience, involved with you, whereas he is just playing the guitar in the others. I would like to think that an artist is involved with the fans more than himself and his music and that is what #3 invokes in me, "Yeah I play guitar but I am also human and care about other things too".

As a guitar player myself, we always want to see somebody playing.
So I pick #1 #2

For the black and whites I like #9. I think it picks up his true personality. Guitar players unfortunately have 2 faces..their guitar face, and their true personality. Next time, try to pick up more of the wood grain in the Gretsch.

I agree the one shot is definitely The Born in The USA pose, and you just can't use it.

Fantastic photos as always.

Nice photos Dennis. I guess I'd have to know the intent of the photo to really give an honest opinion. If he will be using it for a painting, BW helps bring out some of the details and contrasts. However, if he wants one to use for distribution to others, definately number 3, although I'd like to see a little more.....something....in his face. He looks a little pissed off, which, if thats what you are aiming for...so be it. Just MHO.

Back