not having luck at all

HeyFreqs

Reefing newb
So today I came home to find one of my clown fish not using one of his fins. I am getting ready to get water levels, there looks to be some type of white film over the fin, it also looks as if it may have been bitten. Sad sad sad I am.

+1 BL1 if you want to be able to keep dosile fish in your tank, i'd trap the damsel and either flush him down the toilet for causing this harm to your clown or try your LFS and see if they will take him back. I had the same exact fish and he killed both my black clown fish, needless to say he got flushed down my toilet.

I would not advocate flushing the fish down the toilet. That behavior is in the damsel's nature. Every time anyone posts about damsels on here, we tell them that. Dana, it's not the fish's fault that you either A) did not do research on the fish before you bought it, or B) did do research, knew how aggressive they were, yet you thought you were "special" and that your fish would be "nice" so you bought it anyways.

In both those cases, the damsel's very predictable aggression towards your other fish is due to your failing as an aquarist, not the fish's failing for just being himself.

Remember, these fish are taken from the wild. If you are going to get pissed and flush them down the toilet when they act the way they naturally act, you shouldn't be in this hobby.

I would not advocate flushing the fish down the toilet. That behavior is in the damsel's nature. Every time anyone posts about damsels on here, we tell them that. Dana, it's not the fish's fault that you either A) did not do research on the fish before you bought it, or B) did do research, knew how aggressive they were, yet you thought you were "special" and that your fish would be "nice" so you bought it anyways.

In both those cases, the damsel's very predictable aggression towards your other fish is due to your failing as an aquarist, not the fish's failing for just being himself.

Remember, these fish are taken from the wild. If you are going to get pissed and flush them down the toilet when they act the way they naturally act, you shouldn't be in this hobby.

I said or take it to the LFS. You take things to personally sometimes i think. I tried to give mine to the LFS and they said they wouldnt take him back. Hense i had no other choice. Yellow tail damsels are listed everywhere as being "semi -aggressive fish" IMO thats bull crap. How does a fish thats semi aggressive purposely kill other fish. IMO thats an aggressive fish and should be listed as such. ANY fish that will kill other fish should be listed that way and new aquarist shouldnt be swayed otherwise. You act like i took pleasure in killing a living creature and thats totally not in my nature. If it was why the blank would i been in this hobby, why would i have spent hard earned money on a fish to begin with? I dont believe it was my negligance in research at all. Semi-aggressive is what it is. That doesnt spell out that its going to kill any other fish i put into my tank. I don't want this to turn into another arguement so i'll recant my statement. DON'T FLUSH YOUR FISH DOWN THE TOILET. Cook it and eat it like another person advocated in another thread.:grumble::Cheers:

hahaha my LFS took him in, so no worries. However I have been keeping an eye on the clownfish, he is still eating and swimming around like normal, but his one fin isnt working as well as the other, it is laying at his side and every now and then he flaps it...man i am sad.

Wow, it scares me that you feel justified in flushing a living creature down the toilet. Whether you took pleasure in flushing it or not is not the issue. Being in posession of an aquarium, especially one filled with creatures that are taken from such a fragile ecosystem as a reef, is a privelege. They become your responsibility. And just because you invested money and time into your aquarium, it doesn't give you the right to flush a fish down the toilet. I can go ahead and spend money on buying a fancy bird but it doesn't give me the right to shoot it. If you dont' want a fish than it's your responsibilty to find it a new home.

If it makes you feel better I wouldn't have any remorse flushing a fish down the toilet either. Unless its a larger or more difficult to breed breed, or endanger or protected etc.. and if that was the case you shouldn't have it anyways.
/shrug

Wow, it scares me that you feel justified in flushing a living creature down the toilet. Whether you took pleasure in flushing it or not is not the issue. Being in posession of an aquarium, especially one filled with creatures that are taken from such a fragile ecosystem as a reef, is a privelege. They become your responsibility. And just because you invested money and time into your aquarium, it doesn't give you the right to flush a fish down the toilet. I can go ahead and spend money on buying a fancy bird but it doesn't give me the right to shoot it. If you dont' want a fish than it's your responsibilty to find it a new home.

Thats like saying if i purchase a dog and it bites my childs head off i dont have the right to shoot it....like i said im not going to argue. Everyone has an opinion, i gave mine, you gave your and thats that.:frustrat:

Oh god, here we go with a 5 page thread about fish ethics. What im saying if a $3 damsel is picking my $75 emperor angel and the LFS isnt open, its either becoming a fresh water fish or becoming damsel jerky.

I just think that there are people in this hobby because it's 'pretty' and they tend to be wrecklace and irresponsible.

Back