Now my lights...

I have 2 replies on LED lighting.

1) I know people that are running them. Their tanks are nice and bright. However, they get some insane crazy coloration on their coral. For instance, I have a beautiful blue stag in my tank under MH/T5 combo. Under LED, it is green!

2) I just attended a DIY LED seminar offered by one of the reef clubs here. It is so much easier than one would think. I was surprised. We actually built 4 LED strips during the meeting and then they were put into the raffle at the end of the meeting.

If you are thinking of going DIY check out RapidLED.com They carry everything you need to do it yourself. They were actually at the meeting I attended and supplied everything except the heatsinks (which you can get from any metal fabricator).

I have 2 replies on LED lighting.

1) I know people that are running them. Their tanks are nice and bright. However, they get some insane crazy coloration on their coral. For instance, I have a beautiful blue stag in my tank under MH/T5 combo. Under LED, it is green!

2) I just attended a DIY LED seminar offered by one of the reef clubs here. It is so much easier than one would think. I was surprised. We actually built 4 LED strips during the meeting and then they were put into the raffle at the end of the meeting.

If you are thinking of going DIY check out RapidLED.com They carry everything you need to do it yourself. They were actually at the meeting I attended and supplied everything except the heatsinks (which you can get from any metal fabricator).

IVe tried to wrap my self up in the LED world and i think my brain is fried. To be honest at this time/moment. I think im going to wait a year. Not only is Maxspect coming out with the G3's anytime now but i also think AI has something up their sleeve. That said, ill wait. Even with what Fast has stated. DIY LED could be the way to go too but right now, ima hold off.

Now....back to my new T5 fixture im going to buy. Whats the best ATI bulb combo? 6 bulbs...right now i have this combo picked out.

3 ATI Blue plus
2 AquaBlue Specials
1 ATI Purple plus.

I have some 3 Giesmann lights in my current fixture with one ATI blue plus.

I use that combo (I think). I think I have one daylight bulb in there though, instead of one of the blues.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0183-1.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

LT-CV-T5FIX6-3CoralVue 6 Bulb T5/LED $299.99
Fixture 36" , 7 high
power 1 watt LEDs,
hanging kit, & legs

LT-CV-MVLED-36CoralVue MoonVue LED $54.95
Retro Kit 36 LEDs, 21.6"
Long

LT-ATI-1125ATI Purple Plus T5 HO
Aquarium LampsSelect Lamp Size: : 36", 39W $20.95 x1

LT-ATI-1001ATI Aquablue Special
12,000K T5 LampsSelect Lamp Size: : 36", 39W $20.95 x 2

LT-ATI-1009ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO
Aquarium LampsSelect Lamp Size: : 36", 39W $19.95 x 3

LT-ATI-1009ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO
Aquarium LampsSelect Lamp Size: : 24", 24W $18.95 x 1

LT-ATI-1001ATI Aquablue Special
12,000K T5 LampsSelect Lamp Size: : 24", 24W $19.95 x 1

Merchandise Total: $516.50
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
clear.gif
Order Total: $516.50

So far thats whats on the list.

Last edited:
Thanks Biff. Your tank is sooooo FULL!!!! How bout u cut a piece of that hammer coral off and mail it to me ;)

:D

The pink hammer or the green hammer? I wouldn't dare try to frag that pink wall hammer!

Those pics were taken in December. The tank looks a bit different now -- I removed all the GSP that was taking over the rock on the left, and I removed the huge rock in the center that was covered in the hairy mushrooms. The big candy cane colony in the back also got brown jelly disease, so I ended up fragging it into three separate pieces to increase the remaining heads' odds of survival (they have all survived and are doing well so far). When I took out the big rock in the center, I ended up having to re-aquascape everything... :grumble:

Well after looking at the dim of the above fixture it wont fit my bowfront tank. It would overlap and look like garbage. So....that being said....im never going halide...led to expensive...tried to find a top of the line T5 fixture within my price range and..

FINALLY, made my mind up lol. After reading a million pages of info and asking a shyt ton of questions. I was talking with George over at Reefgeek and im going with this http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...nPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

The new fixtures can be dimmed and you can add a controller but i dont need that kind of control, not till i go LED at least.

Buying some moonlights for it from a different website.

6 days....i place my order!

Back