Now What??

I can tell you from experience, that pump will rust and stop working. Use it to mix your salt but not as the life support of you aquarium. You will probably come home one day to no pump and dead or diying livestock.

A good pump is one of your most important peices of equipment. ;)

winyfrog, you are probably very right, but from what I could see everything that was in contact with the water was either stainless steel or plastic coated. I can't understand why the aquarium trade charges 2 to 3 times the cost for something that in "normal" condiditions would cost a fraction of that. That's the reason for my experiment. Just trying to not have to pay more for something that I don't have to.

even good stainless will corrode when exposed to saltwater but there can be a big difference in the quality of stainless steel depending on where/how it was made.

Very aware of that one as well mng. Took enough college welding classes to understand that. I'm still curious as to how long the pump will last. Figure even if I get only a year of use out of it It'll allow the time to save up and get really nice pumps. At the moment my financial situation is very unstable, so this has turned into a very budget build. Meaning if I can get something that will do for now I will until I can afford something else. But so far everything I have done is up to par. The bigest places where I'm trying to save money is on the pumps, lighting, and rock. I've just started making rock using a recipie I've seen on here I will keep you all posted on how this rock goes and post pics as soon as I can

I can definately understand the budget crisis. I am in the same boat. I was only saying something, because I think you could get an aquarium pump for less online than what you spent, and it seemed like the whole question here was more about the UV. Enough said about that! You already have it installed at this point so it's not really worth talking about the $20 buck you might have been able to save. I'm sure that it will work for you for the time you need it to and probably even longer. As for the tight budget, hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. I know better than anyone that these times are not fun, but don't let that stop you from enjoynig your tank build. I look forward to seeing your rockwork.

One thing you can do to help keep the pump running.Is when you do your water changes,take the impeller and shaft out of the pump and soak them in vinegar.That should help keep it from rusting up as quick.

Right on guys! Thanks so much for the support. I lost my job back in feb and haven't found work yet. Mostly because no one at tis point is willing to work around my school schedule. But I know If I keep at school I'll get the career I really want with a fair wage as well. As far as the pump is concerned only time will tell. I've started making homemade live rock and the first attempt I realized I needed more cement but the rock is EXTREMELY porous. I've taken a picture of the second rock I attempted and want to know what you guys think of it.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 146
That rock looks excellent! It may take a few tries for you to get the technique and formula down, but I'd say you've done a great job.

Thanks Biff!!! I actually used two different techniques for this rock. I used the formula from a you tube post DIY live rock by Ed. Wich I stumbled upon perusing the posts here. And I'm trying a different way to "cure" the cement by following what Indo Pacific Sea Farms does to make their own "live rock". The only thing I didn't like about the latter was I don't think the rock is porous enough. The formula by Ed even before dissolving the rock salt when I poured water on it, it all just soaked into the rock VERY little ran down the sides. Let me know what you think and I can make a DIY thread on it that is very easy to follow.

yeah but that'll be another few weeks tho. Still debating if I want to cure it my tank or at in my parent's backyard so I don't have to deal with the smell in an apartment

Curing fake rock shouldn't have the same odor issues of LR. The odor comes from the die off of the bacteria on the LR. You don't have anything living on your FLR so it won't have any die off, and therefor no stink. Your curing process with the FLR is just to get the salt out of it. Once it's cured place it in your tank with a piece or several pieces of cured LR from the LFS and allow a few months for the Cured LR to seed the FLR with all of the good bacteria.

Back