Number of Fish per Gallon?

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey

So I have been reading around about this and I have yet to find a real straight answer. What is the general rule of thumb for how many fish you can have per gallon. I have heard the "one fish inch per gallon rule" but I have also heard that it is not true at all. So if anyone can give me some kind of advice on this I would be forever thankful!

Thanks
-Tom

One inch of fish per gallon holds true for a freshwater community tank.

Basic rule of thumb in salt is one SMALL fish (like a clown) per ten gallons.

I don't go by or recommend those rules of thumb like that.
I say it depends on the tank itself along with the type of fish that your planning on keeping.
The best rule of thumb out there is to research every aspect of the fish you want until you think you know everything out it, then research it again.

I agree with Joe. One inch per gallon is a starter rule for freshwater people, so they don't overload their tanks. After you get stabilized and good at maintenance, you can stretch that, but at the same time its mire for slender bodied fish like Teresa, jollies, yuppies and danios. Once you start adding discus and angels, the game changes.

Same with saltwater. I think one fish per 10 gallons is a good starting place for your clowns, chromis, damsels (God forbid anybody start with those), etc... But when you get to range, angels, triggers, etc...its more about having enough swimming space.

The fish per whatever rule in general is stupid... It all depends on your tank, filtration ect. The way I've done is when I was stocking my 55 I'd buy a fish, wait a month, if the params are stable I'll add another (To a reasonable amount).

Cool thanks for the information, I think I will just add fish slowly and make sure my parameters stay inline.

Make sure you wait the full month though, You want to make 100% sure those params stay well within range. Test every week and if they stay the same all 4 weeks, Find another :O). You must also take into consideration how big the fish will be when its finished growing. Say if you buy 9 .5in fish and they will grow to 2in There is going to be a big difference in the amount of waste these fish will cause during this time.

+1 everyone, and just to repeat what was already said, definitely be mindful of the fish's basic requirements, too. Obviously you don't want to put a tang in a 30g tank, even if it's the only fish in there. Liveaquaria.com is the best place I've seen that has more accurate tank size requirements.

Back