octo 800 skimmer problem

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
I was just doing a water change and I shut off the skimmer; when I turned it back on, it's making a whirring noise, but not the "sucking" noise it usually makes. It isn't the sound when it loses suction (and I tried repriming it) but it keeps making this almost buzzing noise.
I'm hoping the skimmer motor didn't burn out...but if it has (taking a break from troubleshooting) anyone know what kind of thing I use to replace the part? And how long can my tank go (i.e., 1 day?) without serious effects? (I'm running a skimmer, LR/DSB filtration)

Thanks for any help!!!
-Alex

Ok, so I plugged it in this morning and it worked fine - not really sure what happened. Thanks for the help and PM Daugherty - I think I'm going to order one of those pumps just in case it happens again. Not really sure what it could be, maybe something was stuck in the intake and I had knocked it out. Either way, it's working great now.

It is putting out a lot more microbubbles now tho, maybe because I had cleaned it a bunch while it was out for diagnostics. Going to pursue that mod of yours..

that is a hard pump to fine here in the states i found lots of them from europe sites but that is the only one i found here in the states.

Back