Octopus NW 100 skimmer tips

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
So my Octopus InSump NW110 skimmer is awesome, atleast compared to my old HOB skimmer. However, I was wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks to get it more stable. I'm constantly having to adjust the "water level adjuster" on it because either its pouring over with water or not really high enough to be blowing the stuff into the cup. I've been keeping the water level in the sump at 8"-10". I looked online and theres a Gateway Valve Mod that I'm thinking of doing myself. But is there anyting anyone else has done/tried with theres? Thanks!

Any info. will be used for the improvement and stability of my tank :D

I'm running a MSX 160 and this may be of help to you. Assuming you cleaned it when new , I used a vinegar bath, it should settle in in a few days, but may not skim good for a few weeks . I found these are very touchy when adjusting the water level. I removed the lower exit tube below the elbow and turned the elbow so a small part of the open end was above the water level. This made a huge difference when adjusting the skimming level inside the cup. The performance seemed to level out almost instantly. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I've been keeping the water level in the sump at 8"-10"
Does that mean the section the skimmer sits in fluctuates between 8-10"? If so, that's the problem. The skimmer should sit where the water level never changes.

Check my build thread. I have a NW200 and did all the mods there are to it, including a gate valve mod. The gate valve mod only makes it more precise in adjusting the skimmer. It won't compensate for a fluctuating water level.
https://www.livingreefs.com/125-reef-build-not-new-yankee-workshop-t12113p9.html

The water level in the skimmer area does fluctuate :( I'm guessing because my "sump" is an old school wet/dry filter. There are 3 compartments: the area where the water comes from the overflow which then pours into the area where I have my skimmer which then travels under a wall where my return pump.

Unfortunately there's NO room between my skimmer and the wall and then the wall and the return pump to add some plexi glass to hold the water at a constant level :( I'd have to cut out both walls to do what it would take to create a stable place. What can I use to cut these walls out? a dremmel (s/p)?

Maybe what you can do is add a second wall after the water goes underneath into the return secton that goes all the way to the bottom and stops about an inch or so from the top. The water would then be a constant level at the skimmer.

Pics would also help try to figure this out.

Brian

https://www.livingreefs.com/sniffles-29g-t19315p7.html

I have a pic of it in my tank showcase thread. I'll snap some other pics if need be. But as you can see, pretty much no space. The only thing I can think of is moving the skimmer over to the left another inch or so to place a wall the same height as the first. Then place the skimmer on some egg crate to put it at 10" deep in water. Would that work?

::smacks forehead:: Doh! I'm one of those guys who makes things harder than they are. Thanks for the advice Brian! Does it matter what length of the space is between the walls?

yeah it will only change in the return area.

You might have to top off more often because you will still evaporate the same amount of water but will only notice the levels changing in the return section

Back