OK folks here it is. My setup. Please submit any and all recommendations

mach1ray

Reefing newb
I will be the first to admit I was not committed as I should have but I am ready to give this one final try. Here is my setup. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

I lost some very beautiful and expensive corals for various reasons (hitch hikers, power outages while away, sea apple caught in powerhead and current struggles with red turf algae) , but, none were due to bad water treatment. I just turned off my fluval based on some recommendations. All I have running is my skimmer and 2 coralife powerheads with attachments containing phosban (was intended for the red turf algae but not helping).

What I need help with is a full clean up crew and anything else, other than a sump (too scared of overflows and my wifes sweet words). Also does anyone think I have too much sand or rocks?

6c7269cc.jpg

43f2e6b8.jpg

98761b58.jpg

767ce5c7.jpg

Last edited:
Im not seeing any red turf algae just a ton of Coraline Algae, which is good. The rock and sand you have are fine.... not to little not to much etc... Everything LOOKS fine but thats not to say it is. I wish you would get us some parameters so we could diagnose what algae you have (though I can't see any).

Go to reeflcleaners.org and send them an email they will set you up with a full customized CUC or you can order one of their quick crews for a 75g. Either way give them a shout, they are extremely friendly and helpful.

here are some pics of the red turf PITA... The clean white rocks you see were badly covered and left me no choice but to kill off the rock and sun bleach them.
8805545f.jpg

7c9157da.jpg

7f501bde.jpg

cc7bed7b.jpg

Ok here are my readings:
Ph 7.9
Alk 62.5' 6.25 carbonate hardness
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Unfortunately out of phosphate and calcium tests. While replacing those, should I get a magnesium test kit too?

I mean, I could be way off base here but it seems to me that your algae problem is likely a result of flow.

Is it mainly growing in areas of lower flow? Two powerheads is tricky with a tank that size. Adding two more (even if they're small) might help alleviate dead spots and get the water column moving constantly.

Just my $.02

Try putting your powerheads on the back of the tank, pointed at the front glass. They should be in the top corners. You will get better flow that way. How long are you running your lights for?

as you can also see, my mushrooms are struggling.
I had the same thing going with my mushrooms mach1. I had 1 blue one that wouldn't flourish. They need to find their happy spot, that's why they are detaching. I found mine like low flow. Once I got him to a dead spot sort of in the shade of an overhanging he reproduced like craaaaazy. Now I have 12 blue mushrooms.

I mean, I could be way off base here but it seems to me that your algae problem is likely a result of flow.

Is it mainly growing in areas of lower flow? Two powerheads is tricky with a tank that size. Adding two more (even if they're small) might help alleviate dead spots and get the water column moving constantly.

Just my $.02

I do have 4 powerhead, but 2 had cartidges attched filled with phosban. I went on to take off the sleeves off the cartridges as suggested by another supporter to avoid the build up of nitrates and left the chambers filled with fresh phosban.

Try putting your powerheads on the back of the tank, pointed at the front glass. They should be in the top corners. You will get better flow that way. How long are you running your lights for?

I took your advise and pointed 2 of the powerheads at a 45 degree angle point from the back corners to the front middle of the tank. As for the lights, I usually had them HO lights on for approximately 8 hrs, the bright blues for 10 hrs and the moon beams from midnight to 6am.

I just reduced them to 6 hrs of HO lighting, 8 hrs of bright blues and left the moon beams as is. Is that too much lighting?

I had the same thing going with my mushrooms mach1. I had 1 blue one that wouldn't flourish. They need to find their happy spot, that's why they are detaching. I found mine like low flow. Once I got him to a dead spot sort of in the shade of an overhanging he reproduced like craaaaazy. Now I have 12 blue mushrooms.

that is so funny, I actually moved mine last night to a low flow spot with below avg lighting. Hope to see it kick up again. Lost a very nice clustr of red shroom when the red turf algae got out of hand.

I'd get a quick crew from reef cleaners.org. Get one meant for a 30 gallon thou. That'll be plenty of a great assortment of snails and badda bing, badda boom, Ur all set.

that is so funny, I actually moved mine last night to a low flow spot with below avg lighting. Hope to see it kick up again. Lost a very nice clustr of red shroom when the red turf algae got out of hand.

Ug. Hit thanks instead of quote. Sounds good with the mushrooms and lighting. The power head placement should help. That one is from little fish who told me how to put mine a year ago and it's been perfect. Hope it works out for you!

I'd get a quick crew from reef cleaners.org. Get one meant for a 30 gallon thou. That'll be plenty of a great assortment of snails and badda bing, badda boom, Ur all set.

Did just that and selected a crew for a 50 gal. No turbos so I bought 6 of them along with a bristol star. Hope the additions will have some affect on my red turf algae issue.

You folks have been a great help! I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Looks like a good clean up crew is a huge defecit in my current setup and I placed a purchase on line.

This site is the best!
Can't wait to hear how you do, keep us posted. You'll be so happy with your reefcleaners order. You get so many snails, that's why I suggested the 30 gallon, lots and lots o' snails. John at Reefcleaners is amazing.

I agree with Sarah, my shrooms are low flow, medium light, and theyre running out of room to expand to.

Back