Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere

Should the wavemaker be on a timer?

Im going to read the article and get back to you. Thanks for all your help

What about my parameters? How much longer should I expect the cycle to last? Or is it hard to say at this point?

Btw, I read the alkalinity thread and I really dont get it

Sorry for the confusion. so the article that I was hoping you would read was Understanding Calcium and Alkalinity. on page 1 of the helpful articles. Is that the article you read? Did you read the whole article?, Do not confuse alkaline as it refers to Ph below 7 and alkalinity as it pertains to DKh hardness.
If you read the whole article and dont get it, what do you not get. the article gives you several ways to balance out your calcium, alkalinity, and ph. let me know what is confusing and Ill try and help some more. I am just a little mystified as to why you are out of sinc with water parameters, your system must not be completed sufficiently, and your salt water mix for water changes must be lacking something, also high co2 is an indication of not enough gas exchange at the surface and must be corrected. so. one thing at a time, add a skimmer next once running properly for a couple days check the co2 and water parameters again and see where we are at. If the tank water starts to smell rotten and not like fresh saltwater/ the ocean, do a water change 25% plus. (I fear I have given you too much to digest too quickly and will try to help when I know what the confusion is). let me know. you may pm me also.

I was confusing alkaline with alkalinity. Im also having mixed thoughts about the use of baking soda to raise pH. Ive read opposite things from different people about it, and I dont think I want to use it because I can eventually lead to unpredictable pH levels. Should I add some pH/dkh buffer to the water? Abother thing I need help with is water changes. How do I get the pH right when I have to do a water change? Do I have to mix the water like a few days ahead of time and let a powerhead make some surface tension?

Since you have live rock in your tank now, a bioload on the system is being created, and so a skimmer and water changes are inorder. I would do the following:

1. start weekly water changes of 10 to 20% depending on how the water smells. if it is fairly crisp salty fresh 10 percent and if it somewhat stinky 20 percent.

2. prepare the new salt water as follows;
a. get a clean container that will hold all the water for the water change.
b. mix your ro water and salt in the container.
c. mix well and then continue to mix for a couple days
d. during the mixing add an air stone to reoxygenate the new water.
e. keep new salt water at same temp as tank during the mixing days.
f. test water parameters of the new salt water and tank water.
enter readings in log.
g. top off tank with fresh ro water to proper height and let mix for
couple hours before testing as noted in f.
h. remove water from tank and replace with prepared new saltwater.

Let us know if you have any bad readings on your new saltwater, and give your tank a few weeks to stablize with the water changes. the sooner the protein skimmer is in place the easier your water parameters will be to maintain.////// baking soda will only raise Ph and very fast. it will not buffer alkalinity or other parameters and is a formula for desaster if not used properly or can unbalance an already bad situation even further. I do not recommend it except in the most sever situation and only if Ph is the only problem. If you just must add some thing i recommend one of the two part additives such as C-balance, or Kent marine Tech A&B.

I hope this clears up some issues and gives you some idea what to do next. let me know . Keep us posted.

Hey Ned just touching base with you to see how your live rock is doing notice any life on it yet?? I bought a peice from a lfs yesterday (man its getting expensive here) had 2 corals some greenery, 3 clams, and what appears to be a juvenile hawaian feather duster.

Back