Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere

JellyMan said:
Are you cycling your tank? Me personally I dont scrub my LR I Put it in a seperate tank and observe it for the bad critters even your nocturnal ones will come out if you have a moonlight youd be amazed at what comes out of the rock at night. :P

The LR is in a seperate container. Should I still do a water change in the container?

How do I know when I can add the LR to my tank?

squibley2 said:
I would say do a water change now then. You don't want the cycle to kill anything else on the LR as you a curing it.

If Im not mistanken, theres nothing living on the rock. I bought it uncured.

Uncured just means there is some die off not all you should still have alot of life on the rock, if everything was dead on uncured rock there would be no sence in buying it, instead you could just buy all base rock for alot cheaper so yes there still is life on it unless it died without having the temp right I dont know.

I noticed that theres like a few plants that have turned green on it. Other than that and some (coralline?) algae, no invertabrates or anything of that nature.

I've got a few pics of the curing container. Ill post them as soon as they upload.

Once you get proper lighting, water parameters, and temperature, more stuff will come out of the live rock. It may be several weeks (or even months) before you see the critters, but they are there. That's why it's called "live". Like Bobby said, uncured means that it will cause a cycle because of the die off, cured simply means it's already been cycled and you can (usually) add it straight to your tank without your levels spiking. If you are patient, you will eventually see various sponges, feather dusters, mushrooms, and maybe even other types of corals come out of the rock. I had some snails hitchhike in on my live rock, and some people have found shrimp and crabs in theirs too.

12_30_06_1138.jpg

12_30_06_1139.jpg

12_30_06_1140.jpg

I added the LR to my tank. I then took some water tests.

Nitrites-0.8 mg/l
pH-8.3
Ammonia-1.5-3.0 mg/l
Kh-9
SG-1.028
C02 1.5 mg/l

Any clues as to why the ph is now where it should be? Is the cycle where it should be at this point? Also, should I continue adding the biozyme at this point? Its only been 4 days since I started.

your ph is a gradual change when increasing and decreasing thats why when I use my buffer I check it before and then as the bottle says I check it the next day. And your rock looks good you have coraline algae, plants and Ill bet money you had or have critters in it check your container see if anything abandoned ship.

So do you think the pH sill stay at 8.3? Anything I can do to stabilize it?

Im not sure if theres any hitchhikers on the rock, none at the bottom of the container at least.

They might only come out at night. A lot of them are nocturnal. Tonight try turning all the lights off, go away for an hour, then come back with a little flashlight and check out the rocks.

Bifferwine said:
They might only come out at night. A lot of them are nocturnal. Tonight try turning all the lights off, go away for an hour, then come back with a little flashlight and check out the rocks.

Ill definately try that. Thanks

I took another water test.

My pH went down again to 7.7-8.0

Nitrites are 1.6 mg/l
Kh is 8
Ammonia is 3.0 mg/l
and the CO2 content is 5.0 mg/l

Is it normal to have the fluctuations everyday is parameters? How can I increase my pH without adding baking soda?

Drop in some air stones or increase the surface aggitation. your co2 is too hight and that will drive your ph down. your alk is at the bottom of acceptable scale but i would not worry bout that yet. you need to lower the co2 and increase the oxygen levels. The coloration of the rock shows a lot of life on the rock. To specificly identify what life, you would need lab conditions and microscopes. The pic's show what appears to be some good live rock. once in your main system you will be able to determine what you acturally have. thats part of the fun of the hobby, the surprises that continue to turn up as the system matures. good luck keep us posted.

jhnrb said:
Drop in some air stones or increase the surface aggitation. your co2 is too hight and that will drive your ph down. your alk is at the bottom of acceptable scale but i would not worry bout that yet. you need to lower the co2 and increase the oxygen levels. The coloration of the rock shows a lot of life on the rock. To specificly identify what life, you would need lab conditions and microscopes. The pic's show what appears to be some good live rock. once in your main system you will be able to determine what you acturally have. thats part of the fun of the hobby, the surprises that continue to turn up as the system matures. good luck keep us posted.

Would a bubble wall that runs the length of the tank and a protein skimmer provide adequate aeration? Is Alk the same as pH?

Yes will definitely help adding the add equipment. the protein skimmer might be plenty but the bubble wan would also help. we are talking bout the tub with the live rock in it.
No Ph and alkalinity are not the same. See helpful articles 1sp page alkalinity, hardness, ph.
pH & Co2/ Page 6 - Ph/ and finally the one that best explains it on page one calcium and alkalinity.
Let me know if this helps.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention-I added the rock to my tank. Im using it to speed up the cycle. All the parameters I just took are from my tank, not the container.

Ok, thaks for the update, so go to my post above and read the last article mentioned 1st. definitely add the protein skimmer now, and adjust your circulation to gingerly ripple the water surface. bubble wans not advised in tanks due to salt creep, makes a mess above the water line. let me know if things are improving after you add protein skimmer and good circulation.

Back