OK, I'm confused again ....

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I always heard Cleaner Shrimp clean fish, including ick. When I had my FOWLR, I had a fish with a few white spots on him. The Cleaner Shrimp would clean him often and after a few days, I noticed the spots were gone. I noticed on another thread, it was said that they don't get rid of the ick off fish. Do Cleaner Shrimp clean ick off fish or not ?

Well, this is something for the Saltwater Gods to enlighten us on this dilemma. There seems to be a lot of talk on the subject of ick. I have 2 Cleaner Shrimp. What are they good for if not to keep bugs off my fish .......

The skunk cleaner shrimp is an extraordinarily versatile little shrimp that is perfect for most reef tanks, and also for many fish-only tanks without fish that pose a predatory risk to crustaceans. They are omnivorous scavengers, eating almost anything, but are most-well known for their symbiotic relationship with many fish. When a fish comes down with Ich or another type of skin infection, it will sidle up next to the shrimp and patiently tread water while waiting for the shrimp to clean its body of parasites. For the shrimp's part, it is usually quite diligent and will pick dead skin and necrotic material off the fish, keeping it disease free. This is a fascinating behavior to watch, not to mention practical in a reef tank where Ich outbreaks can threaten fish, but most Ich medications will kill off corals. The cleaner shrimps will be less shy if kept in 2-3 member groups; they will establish their own "cleaner station" on live rock and fish will know where to seek them when they require their services. Mine will even climb on my hands when I reach in to move corals around, cleaning off dead skin as though I were a fish! They are very sensitive to quickly changing water conditions, so keep water quality high. Healthy shrimp will molt on a regular basis, another fascinating thing to watch.

Its from my understanding of what i read,that they will pic at surface parasites,but the ick that is inbedded in the tissue is untouchable,therefore they are not a cure for ick

That's what I have David. 2 of them. And it is neat to watch them. One just cleaned my Coral Beauty today. He was cleaning around his eyes. I've seen them clean other fish also. And yes, they molt regularly. It's the whole ick debate that is confusing.

Its from my understanding of what i read,that they will pic at surface parasites,but the ick that is inbedded in the tissue is untouchable,therefore they are not a cure for ick
Then, if it is embedded in the skin, couldn't you just take out the infected fish and treat him separately ?

No,trust me, with what i'm dealing with now i've looked into all the short cuts.Ich can and usually is nasty stuff.It has many stages of life,that is almost unbreakable with fish present.If you have ich,try a search on the life cycle of ich and read,read,read.I was shocked at how pesky this stuff can be!

It has a funny way of making you feel better too,then pow,whole tank wiped out!Fact is however ,it is 100% avoidable and we have the power to do it.Its not like the flu,we don't have to just deal with it,we can make sure our fish never get it.

Well, I put in "do saltwater shrimp eat ick" and this article came up. It says the ick is always present in most tanks. But, I could pull up 50 different articles and get 50 different answers.

Saltwater Ich

I guess its all in what you read and believe on your own.I however do not believe its always in our tanks,Why would it,how did it get there?Lets say you start up a brand new tank, let it cycle,is ich in it now?No,we introduce it to our tanks,this is what makes sense to me.As far as cleaner fish and shrimp ,your right there are tons of different opinions,but i choose to kill it,know that its dead and NEVER introduce it to my tank again.It all makes you want to :frustrat:

Yeah, it is mind boggling. It would be nice if there was just a clear cut answer to everything when it comes to saltwater.

The white ick spots you see on your fish is actually the sack that the ick lives in . It is on the surface of the fish so the cleaner shrimp will clean that off. It can not get to the ick that is embedded in the fish's skin or gills,,,,,,,That would be a surgeon shrimp!:D

What about the part of the life cycle that drops off and lives in your sandbed awaiting another victim?To me it seems to be an ongoing life cycle unless interupted,via fallow,hypo or copper.Once again i do this:frustrat:

I think you are totally obsessed with this ick problem :mrgreen:. Feed your fish good quality food enriched with vitamins and garlic, and chances are they will take care of themselves. And if you keep doing this :frustrat: you will knock yourself out cold and not be able to continue this thread ;-)

I think you are totally obsessed with this ick problem :mrgreen:. Feed your fish good quality food enriched with vitamins and garlic, and chances are they will take care of themselves. And if you keep doing this :frustrat: you will knock yourself out cold and not be able to continue this thread ;-)

Isn't it funny that all the people that have had successful tanks the longest are saying this exact same thing... Because it's tried and true.

I have had ich in my tank for as long as I've had a tank (as has everyone that doesn't quarantine and treat all their fish). But my fish have not had white spots in YEARS, and none of my fish have ever had ich bad enough to stop eating or slow them down. If they are healthy in the first place, ich won't do one bit of harm to them and it's nothing to worry about.

It very much IS like living with the common cold. The only people that are going to be negatively affected by it are people that have immune systems that are already compromised. For the rest of us, we get the sniffles and move on.

Last edited:
Back