ok.. something is not right..

Thanks for the update. I look forward to them. I'm so glad that you found that brass fitting and have removed it.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you to move forward with great success!

While those red and green LED's may be 'useless' from a growing coral standpoint, they aren't useless from color rendering standpoint. A lot of higher end fixtures have started moving towards a 'full spectrum' or 'colored' approach for LED fixtures and adding in colors such as red, green, cyan, 'UV' and even amber or orange. They do this to help with color rendition in coral and fish.

Obviously, if your DIY setup was made in such a way that LED's can be swapped out, by all means play around with the led composition until you get a color that YOU are happy with (that's the only opinion that matters at the end of the day anyway)

While those red and green LED's may be 'useless' from a growing coral standpoint, they aren't useless from color rendering standpoint. A lot of higher end fixtures have started moving towards a 'full spectrum' or 'colored' approach for LED fixtures and adding in colors such as red, green, cyan, 'UV' and even amber or orange. They do this to help with color rendition in coral and fish.

Obviously, if your DIY setup was made in such a way that LED's can be swapped out, by all means play around with the led composition until you get a color that YOU are happy with (that's the only opinion that matters at the end of the day anyway)

yeah.... My PAR probe came yesterday.. I purchased a spare set of DVM probes and spliced them to it. The instructions even provide data stating that using a DVM is a valid method and to multiply the mV reading by 5. Today I will carry it with me in my critter runs and stop by a LFS or two and take readings, IF I get the chance. I especially want to take readings on tanks using LEDs with happy coral. I'll report back on this "experiment".

Last edited:
Make sure you angel the probe towards the light source if you aren't directly under it. We recently had a guy come and speak to our club about PAR readings and we had all mistakenly been keeping the probe directly upright even when it wasn't under the light and were getting false readings in our tanks!

Make sure you angel the probe towards the light source if you aren't directly under it. We recently had a guy come and speak to our club about PAR readings and we had all mistakenly been keeping the probe directly upright even when it wasn't under the light and were getting false readings in our tanks!

Thanx...

'Been doing lots of reading, digging, and searching on PAR, lights..etc.
There is a deep subject that goes way deeper than we think. Even PAR only gets some of the light aspects involved in photo processes. But I am thinking a par from a LED tank that is healthy is as close as I'm going to get. Plus, it can't hurt to take a read at a coral when you do a purchase so you can match in your tank.
..my thinking anyhow... :dunno:

Bought some zoah's and they are opening up nicely.. but what is the reason my final stage of my sump has foam on it?

I haven't tested in the last couple of days but have no reason to think any are out of tolerance. I'll test this evening.

Bought some zoah's and they are opening up nicely.. but what is the reason my final stage of my sump has foam on it?

I haven't tested in the last couple of days but have no reason to think any are out of tolerance. I'll test this evening.

Is it where the overflows drain into the sump? I ask because each sump is different. I always have a little bit of foaming where the water drains from my overflows into my sump, and its never caused an issue

Is it where the overflows drain into the sump? I ask because each sump is different. I always have a little bit of foaming where the water drains from my overflows into my sump, and its never caused an issue

I have that too but this is the other end, and a recent thing. I did change salt brands.

Lots of corals and frags.... all doing fine.. some doing amazing. Pictures will follow when all are really showing off ......so I can show them off.

... thanx to all...

Are your snails lasting longer now that you have gotten rid of the brass fitting? Glad to see that you are solving the elusive mysteries:Cheers:

..... ummm....cough..cough...everything lives ,,,, the snails just wish wish they have more food... as the tank matures..they will

Glad to see you got your issues worked out, Poksal!

16 pages of great people helping out...damn I love this site!

Sorry, must have gotten your problems confused with another member who was losing snails:mrgreen:

...no.. I was losing snails... that was before I removed a bunch of river rock. Your brain is still in working condition. It is just a little behind, or maybe you were a little nervous because time ended last night.. and the world exploded.

I think you had a lot of things contributing and have managed to find them all and remove them! (brass fitting, river rocks, hand lotion) Glad things are improving :)

~

How's it looking Pok? it's nice to have good outcomes on forums every once in a while

It is going great!!!! tests keep near dead on... everything I put in the tank lives.. and I'm busy adding corals as I can justify them. Last change was after I got me a PAR probe and learned that some LFS tanks with flourishing corals are not very high in PAR.. so I backed my down to about.. (got-ta take a reading) 85 at the sand bed.. and many more corals started to chime in.

It has become clear that with LEDs it is easy to pump out too many PARs. Then need to read less than any other light form in comparison. I bearly have my PapidLEDs on and my AqutecLife 1W x 54 watt expandables are in full.

I have a small problem currently with red brown algae but expect the recently major reduction in light to have a major effect on that problem.

I'll post some pictures in the not too distant future so WE can see how we "done", as a team. It keeps improving so I'm procrastinating the pictures for the next better day... etc.

I do have a new question.. my feather duster lost "her feathers". I moved her to my refuge for safety.. question.. do they do that or was something nipping on her?

Thanx for asking...

list of problems that proved to be real for reference - in order of ill effects:
...bad rock = took removal and four water changes to totally defeat the bad chemistry effects
...too much light
...hand lotions

Last edited:
Back