okay wtf???

i would think so, but i think your problem goes deeper than just power heads. hopefully your LFS will help find the root of the problem but i think something could be rotting in your sand or rocks if its not your fish. good luck. ill go and do some research to help you out.

Stinky Fish Tanks - The First Tank Guide - Why Does My Aquarium Smell, and How Can I Fix It? i found this info on aquarium odors. every site says the same thing! did the Mr. come back yet?

Ya know what? We have some dead snails. I bet that could be part of the problem. We just haven't taken them out. That article said that they smell really bad. I will have hubby take them out when he gets home. I just spoke with him and he said the LFS recommened added nothing new to the tank (snails, crabs...etc) right now because what we have could be fatal to anything that eats it. They sold him a new sock because we removed the bio balls this weekend and they said the one we bought wasn't big enough. They sold him something else too but i can't remember what he said. I'm sure he'll jump on and tell you when he gets home. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Flats Wife

for the algae looking thing: If it's dinos then anything that eats it will get ulcers. and even if they dont eat it, the dinos will release very harmful gasses.

If you have a bad smell then run carbon. A bag in the sump would work, not the greatest but it would help some. Better would be to get a canister or hob filter and run carbon with that for a few days until the smell is gone. You dont have to have it on all the time. Some people dont like running carbon all the time. I do, I had a thread on here about carbon once I will try to go find it and will post a link.

Ya know what? We have some dead snails........we removed the bio balls this weekend

If Yote's right and it's dinos, if the snails ate it, that would cause their deaths (this based off past posts....I've never dealt with dinos).

Also, did you remove the bioballs completely? Or gradually? Removing a major filtration (or even cleaning them out too well) can cause another cycle. Hopefully by now, the tank is adjusting. But really, the bioballs should have been removed maybe a few at a time over a few days.

Good luck, though, and I hear ya about the stink! I broke down my 10g and upgraded everyone to a 125g, and my 10g, due to extremely poor circulation and filtration, had an awful smell when I was washing out the sand.

If Yote's right and it's dinos, if the snails ate it, that would cause their deaths (this based off past posts....I've never dealt with dinos).

Also, did you remove the bioballs completely? Or gradually? Removing a major filtration (or even cleaning them out too well) can cause another cycle. Hopefully by now, the tank is adjusting. But really, the bioballs should have been removed maybe a few at a time over a few days.

Good luck, though, and I hear ya about the stink! I broke down my 10g and upgraded everyone to a 125g, and my 10g, due to extremely poor circulation and filtration, had an awful smell when I was washing out the sand.

He did remove them all at once. The LFS never mentioned what you just did. Once again - we have learned a very valuable lesson. Never take the LFS on it's word-we need to research. We say this everytime we get advice from the LFS. I never thought in a million years that a Saltwater tank would be this difficult. Honestly!! :faint:

Flats Wife

Saltwater aquariums just take a little getting used to :) There's so many times where i just want to quit but i figure it will work out in the end. good luck!

Just read through the thread. Good luck, in a nice way, lol. Whenever you clear up your problem you should pickup a Serpent Starfish and some hermits. They'll cleanup anything that dies, great scavengers. Also, I'd stay away from snails, they're f'ing retarded and cause more problems than they're worth IMO, from knocking corals off rocks to getting stuck in powerheads. If there is a snails are useless club on the forum I'd be a member in a second!! When it comes to powerheads, you need the necessary flow to keep waste from settling in your DT. So keep adding/upgrading to larger ones till you achieve that balance. :)

okay i am back from the lfs. they did a water test and my ph was really low. so they have me reef buffer and kalk + 2. so i have to wait 1 hour then start dripping the kalk in. i found that i had 1 dead snail so far.and i do think that i should get 2-3 more korilas #4 's. i really appreciate all the help yall gave my wife. thanks

Back