One last question before i finally set up

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
HOW.

Haha I have yet to find a site that step by step goes through the process of setting it up. I have a pretty good idea of how to set it up seeing as my LFS has told me alot, but its nice to have the info there when your settin it up.So does anyone know a site like that?

Oh and BTW I'm going with a 120 with a built in overflow etc. Instead of the original plan of a 150.:mrgreen:

One more question haha uhm when can I add fish/coral/inverts? Some places say as little as 2 weeks and some places say a few months? Im confused by that lol

the keyword in your statement is "as little as". It really depends on when your tank is finished the cycle. That's when the Ammonia and Nitrite became zero. Normally, it takes 1 to 2 months. With some fresh live rocks and/or live sand and/or some live bacteria from an established tank, it could takes "as little as" 2 weeks (or even less).

Ah well thanks. Well I plan on buying quite a bit of live rock on thursday and they come from my local saltwater stores tank so I guess you could call that an stablished tank haha, and of course im putting in the live sand. And what do you mean live bacteria, just the stuff that is attached to the rock and whatnot?

ya...there's going to be live bacteria that's going to live on the rock and the sand in your tank, some is going to live off of ammonia, some off of nitrite, and some off of nitrate as well as all sorts of other things...you don't see it, the only way you can tell that it is there is by testing your parameters and noting the changes. Depeding on what method you choose to spike your ammonia (table shrimp, pellet/flake food, damsels, etc.) that's going to be the first type of bacteria you will be growing. When it consumes the ammonia, that bacteria will produce nitrites, which will cause your nitrite levels to spike and nitrite consuming bacteria to grow. When THAT bacteria grows and consumes the nitrites in your water, it will produce Nitrates; hopefully by this point your ammonia and nitrites will be 0 or close to 0ppm...at that point, you do a 10-15% water change and your levels should all be 0ppm and your PH will be at the very least 7.8, but hopefully over 8...that's when you should add 1 fish and a CUC....3-4 weeks later, if everything goes well, you can add another fish...another 3-4 weeks, everything is still good, take your pick, add a fish or if you feel up to it, start off with an easy coral like a leatherhead or mushroom; and you just keep going from there all along testing your water about once a week and doing salt-water changes/fresh-water top-offs as necessary.

And what do you mean live bacteria, just the stuff that is attached to the rock and whatnot?

Another quick way to get live bacteria is to get a squeeze of the dirty water from the filter/sponge of an established tank. If you know someone who has a tank already setup, that's the way to go. :)

Back