Online Fish

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello guys,

I just wanted to shared with you guys something. I bought two Clowns from Liveaquaria and its been closed to 2 months and they are perfectly fine, but on the other hand, I purchased a Yellowtail Damsel, 3 Chromis, and a blue tang from my LFS and they have all die. I came up with the conclusion that it might be better for me to get them online than at the LFS

Depending on the local stores,you may be better off to order your livestock online.
But when you got a store you can trust,then IMHO,your better off to buy from the store.
I perfer to actually see what I'm paying for before money changes hands whenever possible.

I almost always try to buy the livestock I get in person, but I have heard so many good things about Liveaquaria that I probably would not hesitate to buy from them. I'm glad they are doing so well for you.

But doesn't shipping kill you guys? And you're really only supposed to add one fish at a time ever 3 weeks..so your 20$ fish is now 60$.

I'm with you though. Every fish I've bought at my LFS has died.

I've purchased fish from internet retailers and shipping was not really that bad. I usually buy when there is some kind of special on either the fish or on the shipping cost. For instance I Recently purchased 3 Anthia's from Blue Zoo, they were offering free shipping on all orders over $99. The other time I ordered a fish that was half off normal price so by the time I paid $30 for shipping I still saved plus it was a fish that I had trouble finding locally.

Usually the price difference between buying fish online and from an LFS is substantial enough that even with shipping factored in, it comes out equal or cheaper to order online.

I've never ordered online, but I will probably shop w/ liveaquaria (I spend enough time there studying the different fish!). Thus far, I've bought all my livestock from my lfs, and I've only lost a 2 spot goby (after a month..probably due to something w/ the new skimmer I added) and a clown ( but that was after 8 months or so).

I've only bought shrimps crabs & snails from the good drs, but only 1 in 10 peps died in transit. As for fish, I would imagine it can't be much different than buying from the LFS, b/c they were also shipped from across the world, and then shipped to the store (as far as acclimation and shipping stress goes, affecting survivability). Go with what's cheapest and has the best reputation, I guess.

I came up with the conclusion that it might be better for me to get them online than at the LFS

I personally think the other way around. I want to buy my fish at the LFS so I can do two things. 1) I want to be able to examine the fish to see if he`s sick or has parasites. You dont get the chance to do this with online fish. 2) I want to be able to see the fish eat. Many a person has gotten a fish online or even at the LFS and got home and the fish died days later from not eating. I always get the LFS to feed the fish so I can see if he is eating. Once I see it eat then I know it will eat when it gets home. These are two very good ideas for getting fish at the LFS if you have one available.

I have had a pretty good success rate with online fish. I have only lost one fish (naso tang) I think it starved to death, anyways reefhotspot.com is very good. I have only gotten beautiful fish from them :bowdown:

If you have a good LFS you should purchase with them, after all they will be around to help assist in emergencies and help give advise. As Mike mentioned you can see the fish and be sure that it is eating and healthy. Alot of times the LFS will replace your fish if something happens as long as you support them.

If you don't have that option liveaquaria is a very good place to purchase your fish from, they will usually make sure that the fish are eating and parasite free before selling them.

Back