Opinion on LEDs

WTF is Chicago style popcorn?

chicago-style.jpg

Caramel and cheese mixed. Really good especially if you get it from Garretts

http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/?utm_source=by&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=brnd

Also i seen an article about this sunlight tank. let me try to find it, all i remember is she used aiptasia as a filter. Scary, but she made it work.

kk found the link. http://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/06/adees-reef-sunlight/

Not fully run on sunlight anymore, but it was almost a year she ran it on just sun. She lives in south africa, but still its pretty kewl

Last edited:
You know what I'd like to do, down the road in a year or two when I have the time and funds (and don't have a newborn), I'd like to set up a series of 10 gallon tanks. Each tank with a different type of light -- PCs, T5s, MH, LEDs, and a couple tanks with some different lights from Home Depot or Lowes, like the floodlights this guy was talking about, and some squiggly CFL bulbs, so maybe 8 tanks total.

Then do everything the same in them -- same amount and type of sand and rock, same filtration, add the same fish in each of them, same coral frags from the same mother colonies, same water, same maintenance routines, etc.

Then let's see what everything looks like 6 months to a year down the road. Does anyone here really think that the tanks with the regular lightbulbs from the hardware store are going to look similar to the tanks with the reef lighting??? I think that would be an excellent experiment to do.

You know what I'd like to do, down the road in a year or two when I have the time and funds (and don't have a newborn), I'd like to set up a series of 10 gallon tanks. Each tank with a different type of light -- PCs, T5s, MH, LEDs, and a couple tanks with some different lights from Home Depot or Lowes, like the floodlights this guy was talking about, and some squiggly CFL bulbs, so maybe 8 tanks total.

Then do everything the same in them -- same amount and type of sand and rock, same filtration, add the same fish in each of them, same coral frags from the same mother colonies, same water, same maintenance routines, etc.

Then let's see what everything looks like 6 months to a year down the road. Does anyone here really think that the tanks with the regular lightbulbs from the hardware store are going to look similar to the tanks with the reef lighting??? I think that would be an excellent experiment to do.

Be fun to do,but even with all your preparations,every tank will still be different ( aside from the lights ) because of the different shapes of the rock.So the flow patterns in each tank wouldn't be the same.:mrgreen:

Be fun to do,but even with all your preparations,every tank will still be different ( aside from the lights ) because of the different shapes of the rock.So the flow patterns in each tank wouldn't be the same.:mrgreen:

So just have them all connected to the same sump that contains all the live rock then the tanks would be bare except for the lone coral frag

+1 :D

I honestly think it would be a waste of time. If a light from Lowes or whatever actually worked i think more ppl would be using it. And there plenty of ppl experimenting with a halide~led comparrison in the same tank. Ive seen a few on RC and that dood from vivid aquarium is doing that 800g tank.

I think its on the owner to decide what visually stimulates them the most. Ive read ppl go from T5 to LED back to T5, same with halides to LED or to T5....

If store bought bulbs from places like Lowe's were capable of growing coral, we wouldnt be paying significantly more for bulbs from companies that make them for fish tanks

The guy was either a troll, or completely clueless

So skip the rocks, build frag racks instead out of egg crate and PVC, and connect all of the tanks together and run through a sump with LR. That will resolve the flow issue.

I think its a really cool idea. Expensive, but cool!

Even if the lights from Lowe's could grow coral the same (which I think not), why wouldn't you want to have the lights that look the best? The blue lights make tanks look awesome, which is worth it to me to pay more for anyway. Isn't the appearance of our tanks the whole point of this hobby? Unless you're just growing frags to sell, maybe then you wouldn't care how it looks.

Back