ORP: Need or Not?

michaellee

Reefing newb
I am running 300 Gallons and my local shop owner has been trying to talk me into a system. I do look at his water and he has absolutely zero algae accumulation on the glass. Is ORP as simple a procedure as a calcium reactor - or are they dangerous to the tank? I was going to drive in today to pick up a set-up. Whatcha think?

Please dont double post threads. Im going to delete your first thread on this subject.

And i have no idea what that thing is honestly. But i dont know a single tank that doesnt have algae growing on the glass. But if you have a small amount of nitrates, its probably going to make it worse.

Work on lowering your nitrates by doing more water changes, feeding less etc.

Didn't know how to move thread. I think I posted the subject in the wrong catagory and this looked like the right one. Yeah, looks like the cons outweigh the pros on ozone. Just too much to watch out for

well I looked in his tank, and the statement that there would be no algae is false. He must have cleaned his glass recently when I first saw it. He is running ORP . His glass is just like mine, brown accumulation after a few days and off with the magnet. He staed that the ORP would make that impossible - and thats why it was appealing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't spending $ for no reason. My set up works for me, that's what I will stick with. I think people do what they are comfortable with. If I don't know exactly what and how ORP works - then it's likely a risk for me. Thanks for that comment though cuz you are right. I haven't seen a tank without, and 99% of my algae is the good stuff. I just be happy!

You might be a little confused here. You don't run "ORP". ORP is Oxidation Reduction Potential. Every tank has an ORP reading wether you run ozone or not. When you run ozone you must monitor your ORP and the amount of ozone injected is controlled by an ORP controller.

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ditto what ccCapt said.

ORP has nothing to do with having a nuisance algae free tank. I have zero algae issues and I don't run ozone or monitor ORP.

I see what you mean. By using ozone you raise the ORP. Yes I was confused. That's why until I have read enough and feel like taking the steps, I don't think I'm ready. Plus whenever I get periodic algae it seems phosphates. I was a little curious when he said algae and when I looked at his tank he had quite a bit. I think the store was just trying to get me to buy the ORP monitor. Thanks

Back