Our 50 gallon tank from the beginning

Since your light isnt enough for the anemone,You need to feed it at least ever 2 or 3 days.That way it can make up for not getting enough light.

He eats pretty well! The anemone is usually open and out looking happy (at the top of the tank). We have discussed metal halide when we can afford the chiller. I will keep a close eye on it! I am not exactly sure what kind of anemone it is, we thought it was bubble tip - but never saw any bubbles.

The weird story about the anemone was that the day we put it in, our tank raised the (not true) percula clownfish attached to it immediately. It was a big surprise. :)

Have you thought about T5 lights? They'd be much better for your tank than halides, they don't heat up the water, and they're much cheaper. Plus, you can keep anything you want under them (including anemones).

The verdict is in! Our friend that helps with the tank stopped by yesterday and laughed that I had "discovered lighting." The lights are T-8s. He is recommending VHO T-5's - of course the set up wouldn't be cheap :( His thought was 440 watts for the 55 gallon...

The anenome is bubble tip, the lack of bubbles is related to the lighting situation.

A lighting upgrade will probably occur in the next couple of months. Thanks guys.

Thats a lot of light for a 55. Would be nice to have but hard to make 8 bulbs fit I think. Itd be really nice if you can work it though.

He was measuring the tank for me, and can get me the lights at wholesale, I am just feeling a teensy bit poor at the moment from all of the additions to the tank. Lol. Reefkeeping doesn't seem to be a poor man's hobby....

FWIW, VHO's are T12 and HO's are T5.
We have discussed metal halide when we can afford the chiller.
Why do you think a chiller is necessary when running MH lighting? I have 3 175w MH's in my canopy and DO NOT run a chiller. My tank stays at 80-81.

I have 4 x 250 MH and don't run a chiller. Chillers are optional. Usually seldom are they necessary. And you'll never know if they're necessary or not until you get your lights up and running and see how they impact your temps.

If you like halides,then thats the lights you should go with.And if they do put out to much heat,there are cheaper ways to combat it with out buying a chiller.
But I do like T-5s 10 to 1 over halides.

Living in Utah is interesting in trying to keep the tank at a comfortable temperature (extremely cold winters and really hot hot summers).

We have a canopy over the tank. We built computer fans into the canopy that vent it in the summer, but heat has been an issue in the past (we just barely added central air to our house, before we had a swamp cooler which didn't do much). Adding MH adds heat, which concerns us.

This tank I will probably add T-5s in the next few months. I am going to get a smaller tank for my home office and have a few seahorses, that one I will probably go MH on. :D

Newest tank pic:
fish-tank-7-28-08-small.jpg

and my new mushroom:
metalic-mushroom-coral.jpg

Keep in mind that seahorses require colder temps than other saltwater animals. MH wouldn't be a good idea for them, especially on a small tank. Seahorses do best in the low 70s (70-76 for most of them). The cooler temps they require also restrict what corals will live in the tank.

Lol. I can't win with lights, I get them all wrong. I am fired!

I haven't read up on them a lot yet (I will be well versed before I start that tank). I am several months out before I start that project as this tank needs lights and a lot more coral. Still trying to decide on the next fish...

Anemone is dying. I need to pull it out today and give it back to the fish store. Poor anemone. I am going to hold off on getting any until we have better lights.

Sorry to hear about your anemone. Unfortunately a lot of people buy them without realizing what strong lights they need. Luckily you were able to catch it before it died and rotted in your tank.

Back