over flow box sucking lots of air

dannyboy

PLUHH
As title says, I just got my sump/fuge runnin today. I forget name but I bought what I believed to be a good over flow box. 75 gallon tank, 29 gallon sump/fuge, mag 7 return pump. Seems the over flow box can barely keep up with the diameter of the drain hole, dragging a ton of air into the sump and (burping) alot. Should I install a ball valve on the box drain or reduce the drain hole diameter? Drain is 1 inch, return is half inch w/ ball valve wide open, slight trickel going to refugium.

Find a piece of PVD that fits into the drain hole and drill some holes into it. This will slow the flow down enough that only water will get through.

Might be a good idea to install a ball valve in the return line.That way you can slow the return down just a tad.That'll help to.

Ya, I have a valve inline with the return and one to slow the amount going into the refugium. I will try making that gurgle buster when I get home. I'll try to post some pics later so you all can see what you've helped me create. Thanks again.

I built the gurgle buster...it has taken a couple tries but I think I finaly have it so it works right. The problem I had was simply not having the stand pipe tall enough, finaly ended up with the top of the gurgle buster colar about even with the bottom of the teeth on the overflow box.

it is very hard to keep that from happening. it's just part of the physics of falling water. keeping the return slightly above the water level will stop it from burping.but then you will hear water crashing. which I think is quiter and easier to put up with than burping sounds. or you can build a reverse durso in the sump. it will let the air escape without any burping sound. here's the link. Reverse Durso I haven't built one yet, but I plan on it. it looks like it would work.

I already built the gurgle buster and it works great. If I saw that first I would of tried that, looks like a good idea too. I'm really happy with the way my sum/fuge turned out, makes me wanna build another.

I built something like that and a dorso standpipe for my overflow box. The regular durso worked well, but releasing the extra air in the sump made it alot quiter.

Back