Partitioning quarantine tank

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I built a quarantine tank stand made to hold 4 different 10 gallon tanks for quarantining new fish: https://www.livingreefs.com/ltkenbos-55-gallon-reef-tank-t22448p6.html

Anyways, I was wondering if this would be a good idea: Since some fish don't require a single 10 gallon tank all to themselves, perhaps I could take a piece of acrylic or glass and silicone a divider in place which would completely separate the 2 halves (the water also) so that they would become two smaller tanks. What do you think?

I didnt check out the other link you provided so If im out of context, just ignore me...

Curious, why do you need 4 QT's if you only have a 55 gal tank? Is there a specific reason?

I think a 10 gallon tank is too small for a QT. If you feel you need 2 QT's, I would go with 1 20 as a QT and the other 20 as a sump. Not sure why you need 2 QY's though?

So I don't have to wait an entire month until I can start quarantining something else. For example, I want to get a second clown fish so if I get one today I would quarantine it for a month (assuming there were no signs of illness), now suppose in 2 weeks I want to buy a couple damsels, well I'm not going to be able to add them to my previous quarantine tank with the clownfish (I suppose I could but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of quarantining) so this way I can quarantine multiple fish. I don't see why a 10 gallon would be too small, maybe for a yellow tang, but I'm not getting one of those any time soon, not to mention the tanks at the fish store are 10 gallons for almost all individual fish, so it's not like it would over stress them since they are already used to it.

The idea with a QT is to observe, medicate, and make as healthy as possible, your new fish before adding them to your tank. The reason you do it in QT is because you cannot medicate in the same tank you have your LR and inverts. The QT process is not so much to keep the fish separate from each other as it is to keep them separate from your DT, more specifically your LR, LS, and inverts. That said, there may be times that you would prefer to keep your fish separate from each other too, but with a 55g you are only going to be able to keep a small number of fish to begin with, and considering that you should be taking your time and stocking slowly, I cannot really see the need for more than one QT. Moreover, the 10g tanks are pushing the limit of what's too small for QT. I think I would try to just find one larger tank, maybe a 20 or 30, as stated above, and use it as your one and only QT. If you are ever in a spot where you need to introduce more than one fish at a time, they will be ok together in the same QT. Remember though, that the key to success in this hobby is patience. You should wait at least 1 month after adding one fish until you add another. The longer you wait the better.

Last edited:
So I don't have to wait an entire month until I can start quarantining something else. For example, I want to get a second clown fish so if I get one today I would quarantine it for a month (assuming there were no signs of illness), now suppose in 2 weeks I want to buy a couple damsels, well I'm not going to be able to add them to my previous quarantine tank with the clownfish (I suppose I could but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of quarantining) so this way I can quarantine multiple fish. I don't see why a 10 gallon would be too small, maybe for a yellow tang, but I'm not getting one of those any time soon, not to mention the tanks at the fish store are 10 gallons for almost all individual fish, so it's not like it would over stress them since they are already used to it.
There are two things you must consider. First, if you operate on the assumption that what you see your LFS do, is the best way to do it, you will run into countless problems in this hobby. Sadly, being an LFS in no way guarantees that they are qualified or responsible in their fish keeping habits. Second, the LFS is set up to sell as many fish as possible, as quickly as possible, while incurring as little operating expense as possible. They don't plan to keep the fish long, so their setups reflect that. You will be better off to rely on the wisdom of the users here than to follow suit in what your LFS is doing. Most people who QT do it for 6-8 weeks, and considering that length of time, the larger you make your QT, the more comfortable your new fish will be. Also, it will be easier to keep your levels stable and adjust to changes with more water volume. Things happen faster in smaller tanks.

Last edited:
But is a 10 really too small for a clownfish? My friend has a 13 gallon nano reef with a clown and basslet. If I get a bigger one though, I can still only quarantine one fish at a time correct?

depends entirely on how big the clown is. In some cases it will be just fine, but if you are talking about a matured clown, then it's too small. You can quarantine more than one at a time but it's best to introduce them all at once to the QT so the treatment can all begin at the same time. If you add one today and one in two weeks, then you should really wait 6-8 weeks from the addition of the second fish until adding them both to your DT. Keep in mind though that adding too many fish at once will throw off the balance of your system, overload the systems capacity to adjust to the increase in bioload, and cause a cycle. If you cause a cycle, it will likely lead to a complete tank crash, or at least a lot of hassle and in either case, more stress to your livestock which is ultimately what you are trying to avoid. I guess what I am saying is not only to consider increasing your QT size but also to stick to one fish at a time given the constraints of your system. This is not a hard fast rule, but rather advice based on your system.

Yeah, my biological filter is pretty good but yes I understand. However, with the system I am talking about what it would allow me to do is add fish at intervals shorter than 6-8 weeks apart. Like I can perhaps begin quarantining another fish in another tank a couple weeks later. They will both be quarantined the required ammount of time it's just I wouldn't have to wait until one fish was done. Ok, so partitioning is out. Yeah see, I would like add another clown next, so start quarantining that one, and then maybe some damsels also which I could put in a second tank (I already have a clown in my DT that's why I'm only getting one more).

Yeah, my biological filter is pretty good but yes I understand. However, with the system I am talking about what it would allow me to do is add fish at intervals shorter than 6-8 weeks apart. Like I can perhaps begin quarantining another fish in another tank a couple weeks later. They will both be quarantined the required ammount of time it's just I wouldn't have to wait until one fish was done. Ok, so partitioning is out. Yeah see, I would like add another clown next, so start quarantining that one, and then maybe some damsels also which I could put in a second tank (I already have a clown in my DT that's why I'm only getting one more).
I think we are all clear on what you are getting at, I just think that with your 55, you are not talking about more than 4-8 fish in total, depending on what you choose to stock, so it seems a bit overkill to go to the trouble of setting up 2 QT's for such a small demand for them. It seems that you are pretty adamant about doing it, and there certainly is not reason that you cannot. We were just speaking to the practicality of your plan, that it's not the most practical approach. Regardless of what you decide, I am able to say from my own experience that patience is the most difficult part of this hobby, and the most rewarding. Good luck with your new setup. Don't forget to post pics as you go!

Yeah it's just I haven't added a new fish since one of my fish died 3 months ago. Eventaully probably gonna have:

4 damsels, sixline wrass, Some other type of dwarf angel, Kole Tang, Mandarin Goby. Yeah at least those, of course the damsels are very small but that will be around 11 fish.

But I set up the QT tank yesterday using a sponge filter that's been seeding for 2 weeks or so along with a sponge that has been seeding for 2 months or so. So no substrate correct?

That stock list sounds good. I'd avoid the Kole in your tank as it is messy and you will already be pushing your stocking limit with all the others. Tangs need a lot of lateral swimming room and are not usually recommended for tanks shorter than 5 feet.

Back