PC End Caps

bjohanson1234

I changed my PC lights in my fixture last night and the ends were tough to remove because of corosion due to moisture. I have a Coralife LUnar Aqualight 2x65 Watt. I was wondering where i could get new end caps for the bulbs since i didnt like how the old ones looked.

Also, I wanted to know if there is any kind of lubricant that can be applied to help prevent corosion. Kind of like the stuff you put on bulbs in a car that are exposed to the elements. But being that cars are 12V and the ballasts can be over 600V wasnt sure if that stuff could withstand the voltage.

Brian

I use something when I do fieldwork to lubricate circuits and prevent corrosion... I can't remember what it's called but it comes in one of those cans like WD-40... So it exists. Sorry can't remember the name.

Any lubricant that may become a conductor is not advisable. also if you have any condensation and the lubricant mixes and drips into the water, not a good thing. Use equipment that will solve your problem.

I know that the stuff they use on light bulbs in cars is a dielectric grease that doesnt conduct electricity but im not sure if it can withstand more than 12 volts

Brian

I would not do it if you put something on there and you have condesation on your lights and it drips into your tank you could very well poison your tank just my two cents.

The corosion is not from direct contact with the water. It is from the moisture in the air. The bulbs themselves are behind a sheet of acrylic in the fixture. But getting back to the first question, where could i find some endcaps for the light?

Brian

Back