Pet Co Fish

bump. When I was about a year into my freshwater system I made that fatal(for my fishes) mistake of buying one anglefish from petco, bad mistake, ended up with fin and tail rot that crashed my system. lots of hot water and bleach to say the least made their way into my life from that crumby store. I wont even buy dog food from that joint,

actually some of the petco's in Jersey do sell saltwater fish. The one by me in Milltown off of Route 1 does, one near the Somerville circle does, and one near Woodbridge Mall does. However you can always find dead fish in their tanks.

I asked my petco if they had any Joes Juice and he said whats that for. I said for killing off aptasia he asked whats that?

I drove down to a bookstore today and next door was Petco. So after this thread I thought what the heck. I was very surprised. All the tanks were clean, there were no signs of dead fish or fish ready to die. A problem with my lfs. The fish were all actively swimming and looked healthy. This was in both the fresh water and salt water. I talked to the girl who is in charge of the dept. She says she does her best and it's really individual store problems. I didn't question her on her knowledge. I figure if I don't know what I want going in then that's in part my problem too. KWIM
She did say that when she orders fish they are driven up from Atlanta (about an hour) and she makes sure they aren't in the bags longer than 2 hours. I might consider buying my fish from them, especially since they look a whole lot better than my lfs. I'll save the lfs for when I need RO water and info.

When you need info come hear first! The people on here aren't trying to sell you anything. THen go to the LFS armed with knowledge and bring enough to cut through the BS.

Reefer2b
Make a trip north on 75.There are 2 good stores in Chattanooga.Both are close to the interstate.Plus its only about an hours drive from you.

what are the names so I can look them up? There's a nice one about 35mi south of here but it's also 7mi off the freeway and that makes it a pain. There are things to do up there with my daughter so I could make a day of it.

Last edited:
In my salt water youth I really wanted an anemone. And since PetCo happened to have them for a whopping $7, I bought one. I asked the "dude" at the store if he was sure it didn't need any special lights, and he was like, "nawww dewwwwd They all good as long as you got yo tank near like a window or sumthin". So off I went to put him in my tank with my sixty something watt incandescent bulb above my 10 gallon tank.

it turned brown, and then died.

Must have been something I did. yup.

I personally don't use PetCo or any other "chains" that are located in my area for SW livestock or advice. I don't even support them for supplies unless I am hardcore desperate.

Back