Pet Co Fish

I like PETCO... well my local one anyway. I made friends with the manager and he is knoledgable on saltwater. Yes they do got some sick fish but I stay away from any tank with sick fish in it. I have bought many fish from petco and never had a prob. The only time I have had a sick fish was my puffer (which are prone to ich) that I got form a different LFS. Well thats just my 0.2 cents on my petco anyway.

I'm going to start driving the hour in each direction to go stop at petco just for entertainment purposes...

Yea its worth it if you need a good laugh. he he he You should go there and play stupid and just ask a bunch of questions like "Can i keep an anemone in my fresh water tank?" or "what corals do you recommend with gold fish?" and see what advice their experts will come up with.

:)

Yea its worth it if you need a good laugh. he he he You should go there and play stupid and just ask a bunch of questions like "Can i keep an anemone in my fresh water tank?" or "what corals do you recommend with gold fish?" and see what advice their experts will come up with.

:)

I only have to drive 5 minutes to do that....:bounce:

Lucky! Maybe I'll make a stop over there tomorrow after class. I get done with class at 2 and dont work! monday after class is my only day to accomplish anything freely for my own entertainment really... What you guys think about any kind of coral from petco? last time i was there they had a rock of mushrooms (under about .025 watts per gallon) and it wasnt too expensive, but they were the normal common pink ones. Anything else possible from petco? It would be nice to find some green stiped mushrooms somewhere with out having to order them from online. It drives me nuts that my LFS doesnt have anything for selection really...

yeah we saw them all over vegas. so much better. i mean you dont even have to take care of them. who wants to do that!

Or I could finally get my anemone! They have hard plastic/rubbery ones painted and ready for sale there. Probably with lead paint too I could hope.

I have to say that my local Petco is actually a much better resource than any of the other LFS around. I got my frogfish from there, and he's doing fine, the aquatics people all know what they are talking about (other's in the store dont' know anything about fish, but they also don't go into the fish area). I have seem some sick fish, but to be honest, I haven't been in a fish store yet where I didn't see some sick fish. The petco guy (named Kyle) has several tanks (shown me photos on his cell phone) has a good knowledge of salt tanks, verifies everything with quotes from books, or reinforces what I've heard elsewhere.
I guess that all I'm trying to say is, that given the right people, it can be a great place. Just like if your favorite LFS got an idiot in giving folks advice or selling fish that could be problematic, doesn't mean the whole establishment is bad. Unfortunately Petco is a corporation, they hire those who walk in, and most folks don't have much skill in salt (or even freshwater) systems. I will buy from my local PetCo anyday, but there are some within driving distance that I wouldn't even put there fish into my quarantine.

Reading this thread made me laugh because about 2 years ago Me, My wife and a friend was in Petco down in lafayette, La talking to the young highschool girl working in the fish department and she was trying to find the minature whales they had the week before! I am sure another employee probably was yanking her chain but she was a believer and was tryng desperatly to show others her exciting new baby whales!

True, thats with anywhere you go, you could have an idiot or you could have someone that is in to the hobby and really knowledgeable. Every one is different, if they would make it a requirement to hire someone just for saltwater that KNOWS saltwater, maybe pay them an extra 2 bucks an hour, they would sell 50$ an hour more in saltwater sales once people realized they weren't idiots selling saltwater fish to 7 year olds with goldfish tanks.

I like that short reply there cthegame. Nice and to the point.

lol. well its true. I drove past Petco yesterday and decided to stop and take a look (just to make sure im not over "judging" them, because of this forum discussion) and saw a puffer fish in the corner turned almost blue in color about to die. Breathing extremely heavy, i know that fish is dead by now. Nope, i wasn't harsh on them at all, im sure that poor puffer agrees.

That also made me think, chances are that fish from petco have ich and other diseases. So if anyone buys fish from Petco, save yourself agony and quarantine that fish. From my LFS i would quarantine for 1 week. From Petco, i would quarantine for 3-4 weeks. Dont take any chances with that. Petco sucks.

Last edited:
Guess I'm a bit lucky the way this thread is sounding. My wife is a groomer in our local petco and has bin there since they opened. When they get a shipment in she will call me to see if I want any thing before they cut the bags.
Did get a royal there had 1 month and she got credit on it. They have even put a fish in a sep. tank for me, i have no Q tank yet.
So for me I will keep buying from them!

The Petco by me take care of their saltwater fish. They just don't carry a good varity mostly damsels. The people who work the department are very knowledgeable.

I think a lot of it actually depends on the individual store and whose over the department.
I've been in LFS's that are just as bad if not worse the the petcos here around chattanooga.

Back