PH Problems Still ! Beware!

jhenby

Reefing newb
Just to update you all. I have sort of located the problem. It appears to be connected to the media in my RO system.My RO water tests perfect out of the unit, but apparently something in the water is missing that I'm not testing for. And I have tested it for everything! I can mix a fresh batch of salt{ tried three brands}aerated, all PH tests 7? Went over to a buddies today and took some of his RO...8.3, same salt? Apparently whatever the waters missing not only affects the buffering capability of the water but also the calcium saturation. Water from my RO Ranges from 340 to 360 max with the salts I have used. Even the addition of Kent calcium used in conjunction with a Kalk drip only produced 360.I've got a call in to my RO manufacturer to see what exactly is in the media, so we'll see.Anyone ever heard of this? It has me and others stumped?:frustrat:

sounds strange, what is the pH of the water coming out of the RO, I would think it should be 7 seeing as there isn't anything in it.

is the water you are testing out of the RO mixed and heated? Mine starts low, but after a bit of mixing & a day on the heater, it's just right.

Ph is a perfect 7 out of the RO. Yes the water was heated and aerated. We have really ruled out and tried everything!

water right out of the ro should be a ph of 7 it is the salt that will raise it to 8 and above. water has a netural ph

Depending on how you mix your water, and if it is aerated right, other sources of problems could be anything that comes into contact with your water during the mixing process. Spoons, buckets, pump, scale or measuring cup.... etc. It is possible these things might have some residual acid on them that's mixing in with your water. However if the water out of the RO unit tests at pH 7, the odds of your media being the problem are extremely low. If it were the media, the pH would be lower to begin with, before you mix any salt.

I can tell you we have tried everything! It is either one filter or a combination of medias in my RO system that is affecting the water chemistry, it is not allowing any manipulation of the water after it is passed through the RO.No buffering, no calcium absorption ....nothing.I have had three LFS recheck my readings, and go over everything from CO2 to Tannic acid and everything in between! Nothing but the RO media!I mix in plastic containers, aerate a day with a Rio 800, heat and mix my salt and aerate again for a day.I have a call into the manufacturer of the system to see exactly what is in the media.I'll update you guys as I hear. As for now I resorted to carting water from my fave LFS and with the exact same mixing procedures and salt, PH is a perfect 8.3! Monday I am going to start taking out each filter on my RO, which is a five stage, and mixing up a quart or so of water. Won't be hard to tell which one is the culpret, pretty discernable difference between 7 and 8.3! That's why I'm posting this, if you have constantly low PH or calcium you might take notice!RO is not RO anymore! Great for drinking...But Reef ?

Also note that I have tried buffers and the water will come up to 8.3..ie...Seachem buffer, but only for a few hours in which it settles back to 7.7.That's the highest after weeks of dosing Seachem, Kalk drip and constant testing.I also learned another important lesson while getting more accurate in my testing,go to your cabinet and throw your hydrometer away! I had my LFS check my salinity in the mix I was about to put in my tank, my readings were1.025 out of my Coralife Deep Six, his reading was 1.031 out of his refractometer! Made me a believer! 6 point variation! Come on? I now own one! Much more accurate and easier!

OK, I'm confused. Have you tested the RO water at all besides pH, or just the mixed salt water? And unless you're dipping tea into your tank, you ought not to have tannic acid. :D

can you post up every test result before salt and after salt is mixed and aerated...that's sg, ph, temp, salinity, alk, mag, calc and anything else you have

hey, before you spend all that time testing each individual stage, why not borrow someone else's entire RO unit and give it a go? That way you can isolate it if IS your RO unit at all....and yah, a refracto is the best thing I bought too!!

Storage containers are plastic with no problems in the past, I will post results from my RO but everything seemed fine.

Back