Phosphate issue.

slm32123

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I just tested the phosphate in my 27 cube on Friday, realized it was high, at about .08 So I went and bought some reef crystals salt. $35 for 200 gallons at my LFS and did about a 5 gallon water change that day. How often should I do 5 gallon water changes to get it to drop relatively quickly?

That's almost impossible to say, even with really frequent water changes it's still going to take a while to go away. Phosphates are not only used up by algae but, they also get absorbed into your rocks. So, you're taking it out of the water column but, it will leach out of your rocks and stay in your water till it's completely come out of your rocks as well. Are you running a sump on your 27?

+1 brian...you need to find the cause of your high phosphates. How often do you feed? Are your other tanks ok? What are you using for water changes?

I am not running a sump. I'm running a HOB skimmer/filter. I believe it is my RO/DI water. Our well dried up and while we were getting a new one we had to use my neighbor's well. And well, theirs was much dirtier than ours, so I have to replace my filters.

.08 is actually not that high for phosphates. Seawater typically has 0.07 ppm or lower. Corals start getting sick at 0.25 ppm

I know it isn't a lack of light. I have the 92 watt Innovative Marine Skkye Light LED fixture. Where the birdsnest is located is getting around 200 PAR

That's not enough. That is about half of the bare minimum especially with the limited spectrum of led. I have my birdnest placed over 600 par. Can you get some more lights over the spa?

Well, I am actually dropping my phosphates, and color is coming back to it. And IMO it is enough light. I originally had it under 28w of LED, and it was doing fine until I had a phosphate issue pop up. Also, I have 2 montis on the sand bed that are doing fine and have great color, about 2 feet away from the light.

Back