Please Read re: Zoas

Oh my gosh! I have zoa's. I now they are toxic but I guess I didn't think they were that bad. I will be extra careful. Im so sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.

Looks like you contacted the zoanthid poison known as palytoxin. It is supposed to be one of the world's most deadly natural toxins. Next time, be extra careful around these corals, (especially when fragging) and wear gloves.

Hope you get better soon :D

quick question do zoa shed there colors every now and again? my dragon eyes have done this twice so far losing the green then getting it back brighter than before. i not sure if this is the norm or if they are getting sick.

xenia is non toxic,they also do not have any stinging cells or any form of defence,my guess is that they are such fast growers that they do not need to be toxic

quick question do zoa shed there colors every now and again? my dragon eyes have done this twice so far losing the green then getting it back brighter than before. i not sure if this is the norm or if they are getting sick.

Yes they do change colors. Especially the Yellows

Last edited:
Yeah i think now after reading this post im going to order some of those sholder high gloves, i also have to use hand cream for a skin problem on my hands. but usually only in the morning and right before i go to bed. And its cerave that the dermatologist recomended since it has no fragrance and stuff so i dont think it would be bad, but still im going to get those sholder high gloves.

I handle my zoas with no gloves on a regular basis. I just make sure I don't have open cuts or touch my eyes/nose/mouth/anything without washing my hands very thoroughly first.

Would it hurt you if you, put your hand in the water with an open cut ??? Or only if you touch the zoas and they squirt ??? What if they have squirted in the water and i dont know it and i stick my hand in the water, will it still hurt you ???

You should never put your hands in the water if you have open cuts. There are all sorts of bacteria and bugs and who knows what in our tanks and you do not want that stuff getting into your bloodstream.

Infections in this hobby are very rare, but you are just asking for it if you are knowingly putting your hands in your tank with open cuts!

I frag Zoas regularly with my bare hands because it's way too hard to do it with gloves on, but for doing any type of work in the tank, wear some gloves. Also urchins. Poke.

This fear of zoas is absurd IMO, just don't be stupid when you are working with them. Don't eat your zoas, don't lick your fingers after touching your zoas, don't rub your eyes after touching zoas, don't touch your zoas when you have an open wound. Just use your common sense and you will be fine. The people who get sick from palytoxins were doing something stupid, like boiling them or handling them improperly. Hundreds and hundreds people handle zoas every day and are just fine.

Plus, not every zoa colony actually produces palytoxins and the ones that do create a variable amount of toxin.

So if you are like me and work in a Kitchen and have cuts and burns all the time. Keep your dang non gloved hands out of the tank. Otherwise...show some love and wear a glove (S)

Back