plumbing question

xlayedoutx

Reefing newb
So yeah I'm not very smart when it comes to the plumbing of a system. This is my first ever tank I'm setting up.

Anyways the drain line is pretty simple just a hose from the outlet to the inlet in the sump model 3. Its the return thats bugging me. My LFS told me to run both a UV Sterilizer and ionizer (ECO Aqualizer 75). Now the main return pump is a rio 2500 and before you start bashing it, it was my choice so I'll see how it goes. Anyways at 5 feet of head I should have plenty of flow going back into the tank but I was told to run the UV off of a sepreate pump.

The way I have this visioned is a hose coming off the return pump going into the Aqualizer and up towards the return tube and a hose coming of the UV pump going into the UV and up towards the return tube. Now do I connect these two lines with a tee and then go into the return tube? If I do that am I going to lose alot of flow? By the way the pump i'm useing for the UV is a maxi-jet 400. Does anybody maybe have this drawn out or a picture of theirs so I can see what this looks like? Thanks in advance.

Think you are trying to make this way to complicated, but then again we all do at times.

The RIO 2500 isn't a horrible pump, just don't unplug it... They are sometimes hard to get started again. Ok now to answer your question.

From the 2500 run a hose to the in on the ionizer.
From the out on the ionizer run a hose to the return on the tank.

From the maxijet 400 run a hose to the UV inlet.
From the UV outlet run a hose back to the same compartment of the sump as the tank drain line.

Trying to T two pumps of different strengths wont give you the outcome you are looking for and in a worse case scenario the 2500 would push water backwards through your uvsterilizer... Hope that makes sense to you.

Anyways good luck and let me know if I can help.
Brandon

Back