Power Outage Planning

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I just had a power outage of 1.5 hours. I called the power company on my cell and they predicted it would be almost 4 hours. I decided to test out my power outage plan and doing so was NOT a waste of time. My 100 watt auto power inverter for some reason would not run my Rio 6hf 350gph 40 watt pump. The pump made some sickening noise as though it were broken. Nor can the inverter run my 150 watt heater (duh). It CAN run my 2 watt air pump and my 50 watt heater. I might keep a few gallons of RO water in my basement frig for emergency cooling.

I suggest testing out a power outage plan before the winter months come.

I've thought about getting a generator for the house...although it has happened maybe 4x's in my 6 years living here, the power has only been off for about 2hrs max, which wouldn't be too long to cause any issues...imo

dang I havent figured out a power outage plan. Ok add one more thing to my list thanks for the reminder. :grumble:

It's late summer that we have to worry about here... hurricane season. I had no power for 17 days when Ike blew through last year. I had just started building my stand so hadn't set up my tank yet. But now I have a big generator that can run the tank, fridge, tv, fans, etc... just not the AC.
I would love to have one of those automatic whole-house generators tied into the gas line.

I've thought about getting a generator for the house...although it has happened maybe 4x's in my 6 years living here, the power has only been off for about 2hrs max, which wouldn't be too long to cause any issues...imo
I always thought that too.... Then one day we had a bad storm with strong winds (not typical Ohio weather).... trees knocked down power lines everywhere. At 3 hours without power, we went to Lowes and bought a generator, good thing we did, the power was out 6 days. It cost $300.00, ran the whole living room and the kitchen plus the pond. Best money ever spent.

We have only lost power two or 3 times where I live right now. None for more than 6 hours. But living in a condo prevents me from getting a generator. When we move into a house, It will seriously be looked ito getting one.

I bought a generator big enough to run my entire tank including the lights.
Didnt figure I'd need to worry about heating the house during the winter because I got a fireplace with can also double for a cook stove if need be.

Sears use to sell them. I remember seeing them in the old catalogs. They ran off a big propane tank. Kinda funny really I was thinking of getting one of these Azoo Battery Air Pump Just to keep the water moving a little. Probably not enough to make a difference but it would be something.

I have one of those and have used it and it worked. The only problem is if you're not home when the power goes out, you're not there to turn on the air.

very true thier are others I have seen that automatically go to the battery but most have to be on at the time the power goes out. I dont really want bubbles in my tank all the time. This is one of those Azoo Non-Stop Air Pump I thought I had seen one in a lfs that plugged into the wall and only came on if the power went off. I just cant remember what brand it was.

I have that one (as well as the just battery powered one). The problem is it just switches to battery power in an outage, like you said it stays on all the time. I don't want bubbles all the time either. I know they could engineer one which would fit our needs. I don't know why they haven't.

I have the Azoo one. You have to be home to turn it on, or leave it on all the time. Ted the one posted I don't know if it is that way or not.

Back